Full Screen Problem - Huge Square Pixels

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mykol404
New Cone
New Cone

Full Screen Problem - Huge Square Pixels

Postby mykol404 » 21 Aug 2007 13:53

I bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. The first thing I did was download VLC. It now has this problem where when you full screen a video smaller than the monitor's resolution (e.g. 320x240, 640x480) and mpeg, xvid, divx, etc., the enlargement shows large, blocky square pixels rather than smooth pixels that are typically interpolated when the player window size is increased larger than the video's dimensions. I can't seem to find any settings for interpolation and smoothness. I have never seen this problem before on other installs. This is my first experience with vista. The video looks like a large square pixel mosaic when it is blown up, literally. It's not really attractive to watch. Anyone have any similar experiences and/or solutions?

Thanks!
Mike from Pittsburgh

mykol404
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Full Screen Problem - Huge Square Pixels

Postby mykol404 » 21 Aug 2007 13:54

Also, Windows Media Player doesn't do this, it blows up the video picture just fine. But that program sucks, I NEED VlC!!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Aug 2007 14:56

Have you tried changing video output module or disable overlay video output?

mykol404
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mykol404 » 21 Aug 2007 15:47

I did try disable/enable overylay video output. But, have not tried changing video output module. I have a feeling that could fix it. I am at work today and I wish I brought my laptop! I will let you know, and thank you very much for the quick reply.

stevebow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevebow » 28 Feb 2008 13:50

I just wanted to mention that having installed VLC on my new PC with an nVidia 8600 GS and Vista, I noticed none of the video clips were being interpolated when changed to fullscreen mode ie. the image looked very mosaic like.

Changing the Video Output Module from Default to DirectX Video Output solved that problem. I did not need to uncheck the Overlay Video Output option.

stevebow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevebow » 11 Mar 2008 13:29

Just to add that Overlay must be enabled for proper image interpolation here. Also, the OpenGL video output module will interpolate either with or without Overlay enabled.

I'm not sure how these various settings affect interpolation or how dependent it is on your hardware, but as I mentioned I am using an nVidia 8600 GS.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”