How to compile VLC with libavcodec from FripTV

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
loicb54
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to compile VLC with libavcodec from FripTV

Postby loicb54 » 17 Aug 2007 23:38

Hi,
I search to compile VLC with lib used by FripTV to use CoreAVC for decode h264 paff interlaced.
Or can you build a special version of VLC? FripTV is open source , libavcodec & libavutils too ... i think it's possible to compile it with VLC for using CoreAVC but a don't understand how to ...
Thx
Loïc

kmf31
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: How to compile VLC with libavcodec from FripTV

Postby kmf31 » 18 Aug 2007 11:04

I don't know if and how this works for Windows, but for Linux you might simply try to replace "libavcodec.so" from ffmpeg by the version from FripTV and this might work if the latter is binary compatible to the ffmpeg-version (as far as the interfaces for the function calls are concerned).

First you need a version of vlc compiled with a dynamic link to ffmpeg (and not static!) and than you replace libavcodec.so in your usual place (e.g. /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib). If you want to simply test you may also install libavecodec.so from FripTV to some different place and then use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to force vlc to search first the special libraries folder specified here.
This kink of replacement works typically quite well when changing from one ffmpeg-version to a newer one without recompiling vlc.

Maybe in Windows you can simply replace a file like libavcodec.dll in a similar way ?

loicb54
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How to compile VLC with libavcodec from FripTV

Postby loicb54 » 18 Aug 2007 13:41

It's on windows
I replace the libffmpeg with libavcodec ... not work(vlc don't start or tell that h264 is not recognized) ... and if i juste copy the libavcodec from FripTV : no change ...

I locate the source for using CoreAVCDecoder.ax in FripTV (i think it is in libds_decoder.cpp) but i don't understand how to include it to ffmpeg

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”