Subtitle option and how to change them...

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Emula
New Cone
New Cone

Subtitle option and how to change them...

Postby Emula » 26 Jul 2007 00:17

hi this be my first post here as i normaly dont have much of a problem using vlc and i can understand most of the problems generated by the programm and fix them myself(atleast the majority of it)

ill explain my situation briefly

i work alot with anime video files worked out by fansubbers and other free offer options to watch video shown on tv in other countrys.
out of the most of these files the fansubbers themselves have timesetting and editing people who check if the subs placed on the subtitle layer is correct
but some of them dont and so subtitles are correct by timing but not correct by fading or placing

i would like to know what kind of programm i could use (preferably with a setting from vlc itself) to change the fade out time or time the text lasts on the screen before the next sentence is added in making them overleap aswell as unreadable
or any other option to open the codec layer and change it in the file without having to rewrite it
with it prefering to be able to change color text style letter type and format
atleast for .avi and mgpa codec and .mkv with ssa codec files
iam basicly an advanced user but i have almost zero knowledge about coding and other programming languages
outside of html java flash and binary(binary more for the count as they asked me in school for it).
iam willing to learn so i dont have to come back here to often to get info other then reading so i can fix my problems without help

Tia. Emula
Help!!! If Fallen and i cant... Hey nice carpet.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Subtitle option and how to change them...

Postby dionoea » 27 Jul 2007 15:41

You unfortunately can't do any subtitles file editing in VLC.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 27 Jul 2007 16:14

you can only edit ssa subtitles in mkv, because in .avi and other the subtitles are embedded.

and for sure you can't do that with VLC

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 27 Jul 2007 16:18

you can only edit ssa subtitles in mkv, because in .avi and other the subtitles are embedded.
You could theoretically edit external text subs too ...
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 27 Jul 2007 16:33

of course i supposed the subtitles were incrusted in the video, not in an external file ;)

Emula
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Emula » 28 Jul 2007 14:51

well yes the its a single file mkv with ssa sub that i want to mod
that its not possible with a few options trough vlc just sounds bad but i guess i can live with it

all i need to know right now with what program or option i can edit or timecode the file so that the subs do fade before the next comes in preventing overleaping text

as far as i know the file is created with several layers 1 for the image works itself one for logos and subbers and one for editors timecoders
thats about what i want to mod so i can atleast watch the whole series without having to crap down my fps just so that the subs dont overleap
Help!!! If Fallen and i cant... Hey nice carpet.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Jul 2007 08:57

Hopefully, VLC will see some improvements to SubStation Alpha subs in 0.9.0, until then there is no resolve for positioning or overlapping subs in VLC.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”