Show full screen on 2nd Monitor or window on 1st

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MotoBorg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Show full screen on 2nd Monitor or window on 1st

Postby MotoBorg » 29 Jun 2007 14:19

I run the sound and video desk at my local church.

I have downloaded this program and found that it does most of the things that I need to show video during a service. There is however one thing that I have not been able to work out.

The set up that I use is a laptop with a projector attached at the extended desktop. I have found that video can be shown on either the main or extended desktops fully and satisfactorily :D :D .

I would however like to be able to use VLC in window mode on the main screen (to allow me to cue up video to required segment) and when ready maximise the window to full screen and show on extended desktop screen (ie projector). :?

I have set the "Preferences -> Video -> Check 'Fullscreen video output' " but this appears to be the screen size when program opens.

Is it possible to do what I would like and if it is possible please can you explain how to set up.

In anticipation of replies - Thank You.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Show full screen on 2nd Monitor or window on 1st

Postby DJ » 29 Jun 2007 19:53

VLC does not offer any kind of cue function that will allow you to do this.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 30 Jun 2007 05:40

Unless the video formats are the same VLC is going to jump out of fullscreen, whether it's on your primary monitor or second monitor, so you're going to have the usual problem of the second monitor jumping out of fullscreen and back to the first monitor. I had an idea for this. :D

MotoBorg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MotoBorg » 19 Jul 2007 16:21

Thank you for your reply CloudStalker. I have had a look at your 'idea' and it appear to be very close to what I would be able to use. Please can you advise how I can obtain the 'Image Clone' function. I tried downloading the latest nightly and the extra functions under Clone were not there.

In advance of your reply. Thank you.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 19 Jul 2007 19:22

My idea for "clone" hasn't been implemented but you could access this via the preferences (Tools > Preferences > (tab) Video > Filters > (check box) Clone video filter, save and restart VLC media player. When you play a video VLC will display two video windows. Select the window you want to display on the second monitor and drag it over (if you're running a n extended desktop).

MotoBorg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MotoBorg » 20 Jul 2007 09:23

Thank you CloudStalker. I have now found the Clone Video Filter check box. However when I tick the box and save then reopen I find that the clone video filter is unchecked.

I have also read the QT4 consolidated posts and would like to know when the next main update with the majority of the suggestions will be or is planned to be released. - Especially your clone system.

Again Thank in advance of your reply.

HyperHacker
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Postby HyperHacker » 21 Jul 2007 09:06

Can you not just drag the VLC window to the other screen and then put it in fullscreen or maximize it? I have 2 screens and when I use these functions it fills up whichever screen the window is currently on and leaves the other alone.
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 21 Jul 2007 09:14

Thank you CloudStalker. I have now found the Clone Video Filter check box. However when I tick the box and save then reopen I find that the clone video filter is unchecked.
You might need to reset your preferences and cache (C:\Documents and Settings\User (you)\Application Data (make sure to "Show hidden files and folder")\vlc. Delete the "Cache" folder and then start the player.
I have also read the QT4 consolidated posts and would like to know when the next main update with the majority of the suggestions will be or is planned to be released. - Especially your clone system.

Again Thank in advance of your reply.
That's a good question. j-b? :P
Can you not just drag the VLC window to the other screen and then put it in fullscreen or maximize it? I have 2 screens and when I use these functions it fills up whichever screen the window is currently on and leaves the other alone.
Well in MotoBorg's case not if the clone doesn't appear, there would be no second window to drag, :) but that's pretty much the basic idea (drag > drop > double-click).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”