Go-to-next-entry instead of add-x-time-delay for subtitles

Feature requests for VLC.
mahesh.herle
New Cone
New Cone

Go-to-next-entry instead of add-x-time-delay for subtitles

Postby mahesh.herle » 10 Jul 2007 10:00

Hi all,

The current support for synchronizing out-of-sync subtitles when the movie is being played is, to give a positive or negative subtitle delay in multiples of 50ms. This will be a really painful exercise, if the subtitle is, say, slower by say 25 seconds.

So, if VLC can provide an option to Go to the next/previous entry, and calculate the required delay by itself, then it will be really easy to use out-of sync subtitles. I think, MPlayer has such an option, but I'm not sure. I feel that this method is more user-friendly than the giving the subtitle time delay.

Also, on going to the next/previous subtitle entry, if it can show the calculated delay [ just like it shows on adding 50ms subtitle delay], then one can use a subtitle editor to fix the subtitle easily.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Go-to-next-entry instead of add-x-time-delay for subtitles

Postby ipkiss » 11 Jul 2007 08:52

Just a remark: the hotkey was intended for small adjustments (like when the subtitles file is shifting a little regularly). If you need to add a 25s delay, you can specify it in the "Open" dialog.

However, I agree it's not very convenient, it can be very interesting to have a "go to next subtitle" option instead (or in addition).

mahesh.herle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mahesh.herle » 17 Jul 2007 16:37

I do a lot of synchronizing of subtitles. It'll really help if VLC provides this option. I want to do this in VLC, and do not want to goto some other media player. The option of going to the next subtitle entry is, in my opinion, a very intuitive technique while synchronizing subtitles.

I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that this feature gets into VLC soon.

Thanks,

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 18 Jul 2007 21:39

You should create a Trac ticket, so that it doesn't get forgotten.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”