VLC media player for Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 02 May 2007 05:57

how about sticking with your crazy little propiatary windows media player and installing k-lite codec pak? I recomend all new pc buyers who have no idea ow vista is to go with some other os. SuSe, Mandriva, etc are eye candy enough..... even mac is a good choice compared to windows vista. I will stick with dual boot xp and linux(changes weekly)
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

mikey83
New Cone
New Cone

This saved my day!

Postby mikey83 » 05 May 2007 22:21

5. Launch VLC and open the Setting tab, click on Preferences.
Make sure the Advanced box is ticked in the bottom right corner.

6. Expand the Video Preference, expand Output modules and click on DirectX. Unclick the option "Use hardware YUV -> RGB conversions". Click back on Output modules and on the drop down box, choose DirectX video output.

7. Save preferences. Restart VLC.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This worked perfectly for me,i had the problem with no picture at all playing video files in vista on vlc.After this it works absolutely perfect,and NOTHING can beat the mediaplayer VLC,believe me,i have searched the whole http://www...Thanks for savin my day!
Mikey83
Ill be damn...

menbed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby menbed » 07 May 2007 00:20

Hi,
Using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit encoding,put in new Videolan version
VLC Media player V 0.8.6b (Wx Widgets interface) had same problem as most, thats can only see a picture if snapshot called up and then for aprox 5 secs.

but as tried on others surgestion, clcked on VLC to open, then click on "settings" , "Video" expand branch by clicking the + box, untick the image adjustment box to no tick, then on the right hand side under filters
click image filter, an, run playback this saves , and I can view Xvid files in full DVD quality on pc monitor, plus audio.

As a side issue with this Vista software if I try to burn a Win RAR compressed xvid dvd file, after opening ,using say Nero, Version 7 for Vista the audio is leading the picture by as much as 20 seconds,
but playing back using VLC it's correct pic to audio sync.

Have Fun
Folks menbed

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 May 2007 03:50

It seems that VISTA is against everything ever programed for Windows in one way or another.

I still contend there needs to be a Made For "Vista" LOGO. "Compatible with Vista" seems insufficient at this juncture. Microsoft has promised SP 1 in the fall. I guess we will need to wait and see what they do.

If history with Microsoft means anything, each new version of Windows has attacked some group (or vendors). In the long run this has narrowed the playing field as vendors went out of business or were bought out (in many cases by Microsoft or by a Microsoft certified affiliate). But the problems and issues have never been so wide spread as it is in Vista.

Also updates for the last operating system begins to make that operating system unstable. So first, users will reinstall the operating system but after a few times of doing this the updates alone (for security reasons) will eventually force the purchase of the new operating system. So in the end Microsoft gets the big bucks at your expense.

FYI Updating an operating system versus installing a clean version (new) operating system has NEVER worked in the history of Microsoft. So in many cases they get your money twice. Many retail outlets (Wal-Mart for example) only carry the update versions.

Isn't life with Vista Wonderful? :P I have often wondered who's Vista is benefited? Yours or Microsoft's? If you have ever read the disclaimers, you would know for sure that it is Microsoft's and never Yours.

In many cases it could be a cheaper in the long run to buy a new machine with Vista preinstalled. But first I would like to point to the preparation Microsoft did before Vista to tighten the grip to all certified affiliates. Microsoft changed the certification and new software was created to validate your version of Windows when you signed on to Microsoft's update web site. All vendors were affected as Microsoft deleted thousands of serial numbers printed on the bottom of your machine for reinstalling Windows forcing you to call in to Microsoft to validate your operating system. Seems that if the serial numbers did not fall into a certain range provided to that vendor Microsoft penalized the vendor. This caused allot of fear among vendors to comply completely to their contracts, again at your expense. This act guaranteed that Microsoft was being paid for each copy of Windows provided by certified vendors.

You see Microsoft did not believe that companies like HP or Compaq could make a $300 machine and also pay the royalty on Windows. In case you haven't noticed that cheep machine has jumped in price into the $525 to $625 range after the validation issue was complete and has maintained that price when Vista was introduced. This accounts for the added requirements for a Vista ready machine versus proper royalty payments. Unfortunately these cheep machines are still slugs. :oops:

The second point here is that machines preloaded with Vista are still not running correctly with any other software (and in many cases drivers) that are not Microsoft's.

The last point here, is that the EEC sued Microsoft for not providing reasonable documentation for the operating system so that vendors could properly create programs for this operating system. I don't believe this court case has ever been resolved. When was the last time you actually got help from Microsoft's help files? Or when was the last time you got on to Microsoft's web site and searched for a solution to an issue and had to read hard between the lines trying multiple versions of what you think they meant or found a hot fix that you needed to pay for? :lol:

Just to recap here for those who read this and still don't get it! As a few will probably say: "My machine runs OK with Vista and I'm only having some issues with certain programs!" This is about getting your money and making Microsoft and its affiliates richer NOT about providing a better computing experience for the end user.

gunnaraztek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gunnaraztek » 17 May 2007 08:55

i dont think i ever changed any setting in my vlc after i installed it (on vista)

my problem is somewhat like this...

if i am in fullscreen it goes over the fullscreen i am in, and its black... very annoying...

if i am not in fullscreen that happens just like there if i dont do anything about it...

oh and if i close even one of them... the video playback stops :/

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 17 May 2007 09:58

Click on the video tab and disable video, then re-enable track 1.

Iadien
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Iadien » 23 May 2007 15:10

vlc-0.8.6b is working great for me on Vista, and I have an Nvidia 8800 GTX.
vlc-0.8.6a gives me a lot of problems, so thank you!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 May 2007 15:15

Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 23 May 2007 18:00

Thanks.
from what I know, vlc 0.86 a and b don't have much differences in the nature of working, only b is more stable with more functionality in some regions. howcome this is possible? j-b???
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 May 2007 20:18

Well, they differ in the way they handle DirectX Vout for example.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

NicolasMagnet
New Cone
New Cone

Re: This saved my day!

Postby NicolasMagnet » 24 May 2007 11:25

5. Launch VLC and open the Setting tab, click on Preferences.
Make sure the Advanced box is ticked in the bottom right corner.

6. Expand the Video Preference, expand Output modules and click on DirectX. Unclick the option "Use hardware YUV -> RGB conversions". Click back on Output modules and on the drop down box, choose DirectX video output.

7. Save preferences. Restart VLC.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This worked perfectly for me,i had the problem with no picture at all playing video files in vista on vlc.After this it works absolutely perfect,and NOTHING can beat the mediaplayer VLC,believe me,i have searched the whole http://www...Thanks for savin my day!
Mikey83

yes for me it works but,
NO VISTA AERO... It desappear with I do "PLAY"...

Tyberias
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tyberias » 01 Jun 2007 00:02

Iv installed the latest version of VLC and followed the instructions for Vista users, but every time I try and play anything it runs for 1-2 seconds and then I get bluescreened.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition, and I have the codecs to run all (or most) file types on WMP, but since WMP sucks and has no support for...well...anything (subtitles, sound ect) im trying to get VLC working again.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of the bluescreen problem? Maybe someone else is having this problem too?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 01 Jun 2007 00:48

I'm not sure what all methods you've followed but I'll try to help out some. Manually change the video output module to "DirectX video output" (best) or "DirectX 3D video output": Preferences > Video > Output modules > (check the "Advanced options box) and choose one of the two that I've mentioned above, save and restart VLC media player.

Since I don't have Vista I'm not sure how to do this but it's also suggested that you switch to XP compatibility mode.

Hmm, anything else? Yeah, for good measure delete the entire vlc Application Data folder: C:\User (you)\%appl%(or something like that)\vlc. delete the "vlc" folder. Sorry if this is somewhat incorrect. :)

For XP it's: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\vlc. This might give you a better idea of where it is on Vista. Sorry if I wasn't helpful or if I'm just telling you stuff that you've already tried, I don't even have Vista yet. :P

Edit:
Oh yeah, make sure to update those video card drivers and to install the latest DirectX drivers from Microsoft

Matt_fly
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Matt_fly » 04 Jun 2007 23:18

Hi everybody.
I turn to windows Vsta 2 months ago and I was very happy to find this page because now and I can read all my Divx correctly with VLC.

But I still have a problem, I can't read all my video in HD ( most of them are in 720p ), some work with Windows media player but not the majority ( and I use a screen in 1440*900 )

If you have an Idea to help me...
Thx a lot.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 05 Jun 2007 03:30

Could you please give us a few more details? Do they skip a lot? Do they not start at all? What's the format of the videos that don't work (Press Ctrl-I, go to the "Advanced information" tab and post that here.

holicannoli
New Cone
New Cone

Couldn't get past step 2

Postby holicannoli » 09 Jun 2007 19:33

I've had a problem with 'skipping' or 'pausing' video quality. I recently switched to Vista so I thought I might follow the steps that were posted.

The problem is, I tried installing Nvidia 158.24, but during installation I got a message that said the software was not compatible with my hardware.

ATI Catalyst 7.5 also failed to find any installable components.

I tried taking "CloudStalker's" advice and switching to DirectX output ad downloading the latest drivers with no luck.

Any advice would be helpful :?

Tyberias
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tyberias » 13 Jun 2007 14:43

I'm not sure what all methods you've followed but I'll try to help out some. Manually change the video output module to "DirectX video output" (best) or "DirectX 3D video output": Preferences > Video > Output modules > (check the "Advanced options box) and choose one of the two that I've mentioned above, save and restart VLC media player.

Since I don't have Vista I'm not sure how to do this but it's also suggested that you switch to XP compatibility mode.

Hmm, anything else? Yeah, for good measure delete the entire vlc Application Data folder: C:\User (you)\%appl%(or something like that)\vlc. delete the "vlc" folder. Sorry if this is somewhat incorrect. :)

For XP it's: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\vlc. This might give you a better idea of where it is on Vista. Sorry if I wasn't helpful or if I'm just telling you stuff that you've already tried, I don't even have Vista yet. :P

Edit:
Oh yeah, make sure to update those video card drivers and to install the latest DirectX drivers from Microsoft
Thanks for the help. I tried doing what you said but it still ended up not working. It could be a problem with some peice of hardware that I have, or just conflicting drivers of some sort, or Vista itself just being lame. I ended up re-installing Windows XP last night and everything works fine now >.>

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Jun 2007 14:49

Please read the other new thread.

Thread closed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”