Splinters in fingers

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
TallPaul
New Cone
New Cone

Splinters in fingers

Postby TallPaul » 03 May 2007 00:51

Am scratching my head, and can't work out how to do something, if anyone has any suggestions, then grateful of help.

Am trying to learn French, many French internet Radio stations allow you to listen to a live stream - but how can I capture that stream so that I can listen to it later. The URL displaying in the browser is the Radio station, not of the stream, and I can't see anything in VLC that allows a kind of "capture whatever is being streamed into the browser" option.

It may be that I have misunderstood the capabilities of VLC, and another application can do what I want - any suggestions?

MIA, Paul.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 May 2007 10:47

You may want to take a look at this to see if it's helpful for you:

viewtopic.php?t=35987

Considering you are not supposed to know how your system works and these files are hidden by the operating system, I hesitate to describe this any better for security reasons. But Cloudstaker did understand and gives a reasonable description as to how to do it.

jclark
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jclark » 04 May 2007 18:26

You may want to take a look at this to see if it's helpful for you:

viewtopic.php?t=35987

Considering you are not supposed to know how your system works and these files are hidden by the operating system, I hesitate to describe this any better for security reasons. But Cloudstaker did understand and gives a reasonable description as to how to do it.
I think these are two different requirements. In the URL reference, the person is trying to 're-play' previously played media, which is contained in a file... yes, 'hidden' for some value of 'hidden'...

However, I think this user is asking how one would 'capture' essentially a live streaming Internet radio station, for later replay, or for controlled start and stop so they can let the 'foreign' language sink in.

I have the same problem with german radio stations, but have not really looked into how to capture the real time feed, or perhaps 'syphon' off the feed into a local file for later replay.

When I was in Germany in November I bought a number of Region 2 DVDs in PAL format, turned off any 'auto' starting of the standard player widgets, and I'm able to play the DVD's via VLC, and even better, enable the German closed captioning so I can not only 'hear' the german dialog, I can read the German closed caption.

This sort of thing is not available on most DVD's that have been imported and re-mastered for the US market.

I'm sure the same is doable for french products as well...

But back to the syphon... would that not just be a matter of setting up a script to bring in the real time feed, and then output it in some standard audio format to a file?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 May 2007 19:16

I agree, but somtimes it is difficult (if not almost impossible) to get the real URL or the URL just doesn't work (in anything you try).

daveshrop
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby daveshrop » 05 May 2007 08:40

Ive listened & streamed from parisone.com with either
winamp & winamp streamripper plug-in or
quintessential player

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”