VLC media player for Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MalachiConstant
New Cone
New Cone

Anyway to get Aero interface to work too?

Postby MalachiConstant » 18 Mar 2007 23:52

first post here - woooo!

anyway, since the vista (running vista 64 bit ultimate on a dual core PC) upgrade, i've been trying to find an interface that works with the aero desktop. so far, nothing has worked completely. here's what it does to my PC:

Direct X (with YUV/RGB conversion unchecked) - the best for pure video output, though with the RGB checked i haven't noticed a change. keyboard shortcuts work in both full and partial screen sizes. Aero disabled.

Windows GDI - Aero intact, video good in both full and partial screen sizes. however, once in full screen mode the keyboard shortcuts DO NOT work (clicking the mouse is the only way to reduce screen size and pause doesn't function at all until FS is taken off)

Open GL - Aero intact, video good in small window, but many problems: video plays in slow motion when in fullscreen (or any size bigger than %50 of my screen), shortcuts do not work when in fullscreen

Default - Aero works, video is a black screen. shortcuts and everything work fine, and (hilariously) when you pause the movie, the black changes to the scene where you paused. until you play, and it goes back to black.

Direct 3D - same as default.

Maybe this is a quibble, but is there anyway to have VLC completely functional? i know direct X is all i really need to watch stuff (since shortcuts and video are good), but it would be nice not to have my screen flash and my desktop reset everytime (as it does when Aero is deactivated) i want to put a video on in the background as i use my computer. any advice or help would be appreciate, and keep up the good work.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 19 Mar 2007 06:37

For the moment the ideal answer is: Go back to XP SP2! :P

But I'm sure you didn't want to hear this. If all program vendors were honest they would give you the same answer for VISTA related questions.

Phorze
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phorze » 26 Mar 2007 19:33

Got it working here, using Direct X output with the newest nvidia drivers:
100.65 for x64

However i still have issues with my sound, ALC850 with SPDIF.

Using the latest realtek drivers i get no spdif output.
A few facts:

1. Under windows XP i had the choppy sound problem, fixed that with the known waveout32 function. Doesn't work here.

2. When playing a file with a Dolby Digital stream, A/52 over SPDIF is selected in the audio menu, basically meaning VLC should have correctly detected and playing the Dolby track.

3. the new realtek driver (6231) has a new build in option to test DTS and Dolby Digital output. This is working, i get correct test signals on my receiver. Basically meaning, driver is working properly too.

Conclusion:
Both the player and the driver are working but still no sound :P :roll:

Any suggestions? :D

Note:
Stereo content is working, mp3's etc.

machare
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Anyway to get Aero interface to work too?

Postby machare » 29 Mar 2007 20:21

Direct X (with YUV/RGB conversion unchecked) Aero disabled.

Windows GDI - Aero intact, video good in both full and partial screen sizes.

Maybe this is a quibble, but is there anyway to have VLC completely functional?
Following the orginal post which was very helpful, I've managed to get VideoLan to work with Vista on an ASUS mobo + E6600 with the Intel g965 on board video chipset. Similar impact on Aero as you describe.

My screen uses 1600 x 1200 and my only problem is that when there is movement there is a clear lack of performance.
Michael Chare

FnF
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FnF » 31 Mar 2007 11:31

If you are not close to the retail market, you would probably not notice that the manufactures have stopped shipping VISTA based PCs. The duration is expected to be short so the advertising has not stopped.

Wal-Mart is a good indicator and you will find a few PCs limited to what is on hand and VISTA upgrades that don't work. As of 2 days ago they also have Windows XP again which was closed out. Also a few PCs have shown up with XP on them that were also closed out, but they are VISTA ready with the offer of free upgrades (that also probably won't work).
Probably the difference between US and EU :)

danifv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby danifv » 31 Mar 2007 18:32

Hi!

My uncle recently purchased a PC with Windows Vista and he was having problems with the player (IMHO, the problem is the OS :roll: LOL).

He found this topic in Google, and I've translated for him the first post. Moreover, I have been searching at ATi's website (with an AMD horrible-look) the Catalyst drivers for Vista x86 Edition, now the latest version is 7.3

Hope it works, I'll keep you informed. ;)

Modica
New Cone
New Cone

vlc is too ill

Postby Modica » 05 Apr 2007 04:21

thanks a million man :)
sig says all
VLC is too ill

UrbenLegend
New Cone
New Cone

Postby UrbenLegend » 15 Apr 2007 06:54

I recently had this problem with my friends new vista laptop with a geforce go 6150. I just switched to the opengl module and it worked perfectly, windowed and fullscreen.

woo
New Cone
New Cone

aero

Postby woo » 15 Apr 2007 10:23

i did those instructions and i got the file working, but i am currently using vista home premium and when i try to play the file. vista aero is turned off, does anyone know how to fix this??

carus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby carus » 16 Apr 2007 14:04

I downloaded the final version of VLC 0.8.6b which claims to fix Direct3D Video Output for Vista compatibility,
but VLC 0.8.6b is still INCOMPATIBLE with Windows Vista, i.e. I can't see any video, the screen is with unique colour!!!
And OpenGL output doesn't solve the problem, because the videos are very very slow with OpenGL output.
Last edited by carus on 19 Apr 2007 10:16, edited 2 times in total.

woo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby woo » 16 Apr 2007 15:57

i am using that version atm and vista aero theme still gets disabled, is there a certain setting that need to be changed??

revwest
New Cone
New Cone

Postby revwest » 16 Apr 2007 22:40

Running a Toshiba Satellite A135 Duo Core w/ Vista Home Premium.

Was able to get it all work by going to video settings and changing output to OpenGL. No issues now.

VLC 0.8.6b

(1G Ram, Latest drivers for Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile. (Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family))

bmrowe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bmrowe » 17 Apr 2007 00:05

I had few issues setting up VLC for Vista, but I have a problem with it now that it runs When I stream the .ts from my Motorola cable box, it displays fine. However, after some random amount of time, the computer will completely freeze and require a hard reboot. Any tips or things I can change that might alleviate this? Thanks in advance.

redxii
New Cone
New Cone

Postby redxii » 17 Apr 2007 06:37

VLC 0.8.6b
Vista Business 32-bit
nVidia GeForce Go 6150 / v101.70

DirectX 3D: The whole video is some ugly color
DirectX: Menus work, transitions are the ugly color, and the actual video has no video.
RGB conversion option doesn't make a difference.
OpenGL: In DVDs it seems a little slow/skippy/unnatural.

Garjala
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Garjala » 17 Apr 2007 18:11

i am using that version atm and vista aero theme still gets disabled, is there a certain setting that need to be changed??
I changed to OpenGL output and aero works.

england
New Cone
New Cone

No Context Menu Items?

Postby england » 18 Apr 2007 15:02

I can't get the VLC context menu items installed with Windows Vista. I checked the corresponding options during the installation and I tried it more than once (with admin priviledges) but there are still no context menu items. I have no idea what might be wrong here. Any ideas? Thanks

Psyk60
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Psyk60 » 19 Apr 2007 22:22

I've got a fairly unique problem with Vista and VLC. I'm trying to use video out to watch videos on my TV which is an oldish CRT widescreen (VLC is the only player that can correct the aspect ratio for a widescreen TV) but none of the output modules work quite right.

Direct 3D output comes out completely dark on either screen (the hardware RGB->YUV option makes no difference).

DirectX output won't resize on either screen. When I try fullscreen the video stays in the same position and size on the screen and the rest of the screen is just black.

GDI won't display at all on the TV.

And finally I get screen tearing while using OpenGL on the TV.

It's not a big deal really. OpenGL output isn't too bad and I can always use a different player and put up with everything being squashed. Just wondering if anyone else has been having similar problems.

dpbjinc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dpbjinc » 20 Apr 2007 04:33

Video: Nvidia GeForce 7300
Drivers: Latest version from Nvidia
Version: 0.8.6b

Using DirectX rendering works perfectly. Direct3D, however, requires Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode; when enabled, it works flawlessly (even with Aero on). Just a few more code updates should fix the problem! :D

Ramjet

Postby Ramjet » 20 Apr 2007 20:19

HI I tried what you said to get VLC working in Vista 64bit and I find that if I put the video output to "Windows GDI" it works well but not on the directx setting

Peter
The video came through fine for me on DirectX, but I couldn't get any sound. Windows GDI gave me sound and picture with no distortion that I can detect. Many thanks for the tips.

kim.mongan
New Cone
New Cone

Thanks developers

Postby kim.mongan » 21 Apr 2007 12:49

Just installed VLC 0.8.6b in my Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Now I can see my videos instead of just a colored screen. Thanks guys for correcting the situation. :D P.S. I have an ATI graphic card.

wendy123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wendy123 » 22 Apr 2007 08:56

i have tried what was sead in the first post and i had the coloursceme problem, i changed to other opetions and opengl option works just fine for me, but i would like to know will opengl put a strain on my cpu or am i ok?

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Ignore Vista

Postby MetalheadGautham » 28 Apr 2007 03:32

hey users just ditch vista and go for ubuntu feisty fawn instead. it has just been released, is free and secure and is opensource.

Pr3d
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pr3d » 29 Apr 2007 01:16

Wow, now vlc 0.8.6b works fine on Vista x32!

Great work! :D

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 29 Apr 2007 01:19

Just wait until VLC v0.9.0 is released, it looks and works even better! :D

Sorry for posting this here, I'll leave now. 8)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Apr 2007 13:22

Wow, now vlc 0.8.6b works fine on Vista x32!

Great work! :D
Well, you must be using ATI. :D

Some nVidia and Intel are not so happy...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”