Playing Region 1 DVDs on Region 2 Superdrive (mac book pro)

macOS specific usage questions
bt2bn
New Cone
New Cone

Playing Region 1 DVDs on Region 2 Superdrive (mac book pro)

Postby bt2bn » 17 Apr 2007 22:41

Hi,

I read around the net that it was possible to play region 1 dvd's on macs through vlc. I have switched the regions a few times and watched various regions on the supplied region player - i'm on my last switch though, so don't want to use it.

When I try to run the dvd it gives me and error, saying:

"Your input can't be opened
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1/'. Check the log for details"

Am I being an idiot and there is a really obvious thing to do? I hope so.

Cheers for your help,

bt2bn

bt2bn
New Cone
New Cone

video_ts

Postby bt2bn » 17 Apr 2007 22:46

Also, when I try to open the video_ts the drive is accessed - when I hit play the video window comes up black for a few seconds and then goes away again....confused...

jclark
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Playing Region 1 DVDs on Region 2 Superdrive (mac book p

Postby jclark » 18 Apr 2007 02:25

Hi,

I read around the net that it was possible to play region 1 dvd's on macs through vlc. I have switched the regions a few times and watched various regions on the supplied region player - i'm on my last switch though, so don't want to use it.

When I try to run the dvd it gives me and error, saying:

"Your input can't be opened
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1/'. Check the log for details"

Am I being an idiot and there is a really obvious thing to do? I hope so.

Cheers for your help,

bt2bn

I disabled the automatic running of the standard Apple DVD widget. It asked me a couple of times about the 'region count', and I disabled it before any was 'programmed'.

Now I only use VLC to access DVD's and can play region 1 and 2 media. I have not run into a disk I haven't been able to play, but it could be because the encryption, rather than the zoning.

I especially hate this regionalization of DVD's, because unlike some 'americans', I actually like to have the media playing in the 'native language', and have the closed captions, if on the disk, also in the native language.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”