Play Video on External Monitor or Projector

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mr_a_ali
New Cone
New Cone

Play Video on External Monitor or Projector

Postby mr_a_ali » 15 Apr 2007 01:49

Hello, I am new to VLC and had a question.

I have a projector hooked up to my laptop via blue video cable. I can play a video on my laptop monitor just fine.

My laptop monitor and projector display the same thing, however the VLC video window is just all black on the projector and does not play the video.

How can I set it to display the moving video on both outputs, or at least just the projector?

Thanks.

UrbenLegend
New Cone
New Cone

Postby UrbenLegend » 15 Apr 2007 07:03

The best way is to get a video splitter, because clone mode on most computers do not duplicate the video feed that vlc produces. However, there is another way to get it to display on the projector. Go to preferences->video->output modules. Enable advanced options and change the module to directx, opengl, or windows gdi. If this doesn't work, switch the module to directx, and click on DirectX in the output modules submenu. Change name of desired display device to your projector name. Hope this helps.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 15 Apr 2007 19:57

Try disabling the "Overlay video output": Preferences > Video (check the "Advanced options" box), un-check the box for "Overlay video output", save and restart VLC media player.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”