installing vlc from source - compiles but doesnt open mpeg4s

*nix specific usage questions
pjwhite
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

installing vlc from source - compiles but doesnt open mpeg4s

Postby pjwhite » 12 Jan 2007 18:34

hello everyone. happy new years and all that.

I am trying to install vlc 0.8.6, that i got via svn yesterday, on Fedora 6. The problem is that everything configures and compiles correctly however when I start up a movie (an .avi or .mov mpeg4) the player opens up but doesn't display anything. Other things are played fine, like .mpeg's and the like.

I believe this would be because I didn't link it correctly to ffmpeg. However I also believe that i did everything correctly, from what i have read on this site and elsewhere... Here is what I have done:

*** i found all the dependencies (i think, there isn't a complete list it appears), via. yum install vlc, but not following through. Then I manually installed each of the mentioned dependencies including the -devel packages. Then I updated a number of other libraries to -devel as well, basically finding ones that are at all video or audio related (or display related.

*** i then compiled and install live555 into /usr/lib/live

*** i configured ffmpeg with

./configure --libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-mp3lame --enable-faac --enable-libogg --enable-vorbis --enable-faad --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-a52 --enable-a52bin --enable-pp --enable-shared --enable-pthreads --enable-dc1394 --enable-gpl --disable-strip

*** i made ffmpeg and then left it (as it says to)

*** I now configured VLC with this:

./configure --disable-gtk --disable-qt --disable-kde --with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/pat/apps/ffmpeg/ --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-vorbis --with-ffmpeg-ogg --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-theora --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-faad --enable-faac --enable-freetype --enable-glx --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-vorbis --enable-sdl --enable-ogg --enable-theora --enable-mkv --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --enable-x264 --enable-dv --enable-dc1394 --enable-dependency-tracking --enable-v4l --enable-xvideo --enable-x11 --enable-wxwindows --enable-ncurses --enable-release --enable-alsa --enable-skins --enable-skins2 --enable-caca --enable-flac --enable-speex --enable-fribidi --enable-libdvbpsi --enable-mad --enable-dvdnav --enable-live555 --with-live555-tree=/usr/lib/live

where /home/john/apps/ffmpeg is the directory where the ./configure script for ffmpeg is, and where i compiled it... now here are the errors i get: ( i would very much like to use dc1393 as well)

[patrick@localhost movies]# vlc curse.mov
VLC media player 0.9.0-svn Grishenko
starting VLC root wrapper... using UID 0 (root)

[00000318] dc1394 demuxer error: Bad MRL, please check the option line (MRL was: curse.mov)
main warning: can't store message (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character): found Box:
main warning: can't store message (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character): read box: "
main warning: can't store message (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character): found Box:
main warning: can't store message (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character): read box: "
[00000327] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `avc1'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
[00000286] main playlist: saving Media Library to file /root/.vlc/ml.xsp
[00000207] main module error: object is not attached
[00000205] main module error: object is not attached
[166749880] main private error: object is not attached

does anyone know what is wrong or what i can do?

another thing is, i made an image of my computer before i compiled anything after i installed all the stuff (ffmpeg and vlc) and so i can revert to it. If I install vlc from yum at any time (in a new one or after i tried iinstalling it myself and then make unintsalling it) everything works as expected.
Last edited by pjwhite on 19 Jan 2007 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

gohanz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gohanz » 13 Jan 2007 08:48

Recompile FFmpeg with only this option, and if you can recompile FFmpeg statically with VLC. Your problem coming with the --x264 option, remove it from the FFmpeg configure.

Look the http://www.slacky.it build script

http://www.slacky.it/repository/slackwa ... SlackBuild

--disable-debug --enable-mp3lame \
--enable-xvid --enable-a52 \
--enable-libogg --enable-gpl \
--enable-pp \
--enable-faac --enable-faad \
--enable-dts \
--enable-a52bin --enable-vorbis \
--enable-faadbin

pjwhite
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pjwhite » 15 Jan 2007 22:09

hi, thanks for the reply gohanz. i just tried what you recommended, however i experienced the exact same issues. I couldn't follow exactly what i was to do, but seemed to want to build ffmpeg without --enable-x264, and with the --enables that you recommended in your post

I used that exact configure line, and everything built correctly, however when i tried running vlc i got the same errors.

some questions to make sure i am doing it correctly:

i am supposed to #make the ffmpeg source but not #make install correct?

i link to the ffmpeg source folder where i JUST made the ffmpeg source right?

thanks for any help!

pjwhite
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pjwhite » 23 Jan 2007 14:55

hi. So i have tried this a couple more times, and run into the same problem everytime (if it doesn't error out in the compilation).

Some of the things i have done:

- gone into /extras/contrib folder and typed 'make'. i didn't think this was necessary at all as in the readme it only mentions os X and cygwing. this errors eventually anyways with an error: "undefined reference to gpg_strerror".

- from the contrib_status page on the videolan.org site I went through every dependency and yumm'd it and it's -devel in. I do not think that i need to hand compile everything.

Questions if someone could help:

- Do I only "make" the ffmpeg source, or do I make install it aswell? I guess that it wouldn't make any real difference as long as I static link the VLC to the ffmpeg compiled source?

- Do I have to do the same thing with x264? So far I have just yum'd it in, as it is a lot easier and likely works. This may be a problem though and I may have to static link both ffmpeg and vlc to this?

Please help, this is VERY frustrating!

alexvf
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alexvf » 06 Mar 2007 01:38

Hi all,

i have recently downloaded the svn version (0.9.0). I'm interested in building the application from source on my Ubuntu Dapper distro but i was not able to do it.

I'm posting here because the error i get is similar to the above mentioned.

After following the instructions on the page about the Unix Compilation
http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile , and have some issues resolved, i'm stuck at the make of extras step. In particular, at the make of libgcrypt. It throws this error at linking:

(...)
i486-linux-gnu-gcc -I/home/alex/devel-vlc/vlc-0.9.0-svn/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib /include -I/home/alex/devel-vlc/vlc-0.9.0-svn/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/include - isystem /home/alex/devel-vlc/vlc-0.9.0-svn/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/include -Wal l -o .libs/basic basic.o -L/home/alex/devel-vlc/vlc-0.9.0-svn/vlc-trunk/extras/ contrib/lib ../src/.libs/libgcrypt.so -lnsl -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/home/alex/devel-vlc /vlc-0.9.0-svn/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib
basic.o: In function `check_cbc_mac_cipher':basic.c:(.text+0x11c): undefined ref erence to `gpg_strerror'
:basic.c:(.text+0x2bc): undefined reference to `gpg_strerror'
:basic.c:(.text+0x348): undefined reference to `gpg_strerror'
:basic.c:(.text+0x4b7): undefined reference to `gpg_strerror'
basic.o: In function `check_aes128_cbc_cts_cipher':basic.c:(.text+0x698): undefined reference to `gpg_strerror'
basic.o:basic.c:(.text+0x6e6): more undefined references to `gpg_strerror' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [basic] Error 1
(...)

I think i have installed all the dependencies, including libgpg-error0 and libgpg-error-dev. I have even made 'apt-get build-dep libgcrypt11-dev' with no result.

Please, could anyone help with this? Am i losing some step?
I need to compile the application and have no clue.

Thanks a lot

ahmdprog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ahmdprog » 14 Apr 2007 11:43

I am also facing the same problem while compiling the SVN under ubuntu.

have you solve this problem ?

alexvf
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alexvf » 16 Apr 2007 20:34

No, i couldnt solve it but instead i downloaded code for version 0.8.6a which was enough for my needs and manage to compile it.

By the way, i found out that we don't need to manually build the extras/contrib as long as we have all the dependencies installed on our machine (which can be done using 'apt-get build-dep vlc').

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”