DVB support for Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kenself
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kenself » 06 Apr 2007 00:34

By default I am capturing all channels at once. Reason is that I wanted to minimise the amount of windows code so I am capturing the stream right at the tuner device.
On the other hand, for my own purposes I need to be able to select a single channel. I usually stream across my LAN but I dont have the bandwidth for multiple channels.
I am currently learning how the VLC TS demux works so I can plug it into my own module. I plan to allow the program id to be selected or let -1 mean all channels.

kenself
New Cone
New Cone

Progress update

Postby kenself » 08 Apr 2007 01:56

Latest update is that I do not need any additional code to select a program from the muxed transport stream. Its all handled in the command line. So far I have done just basic testing which shows I can dump the entire stream straight to file for later payback; or i can run it through the TS demuxer (--demux=ts) and select a single program (--programs=nnnn) which I can then write to a file or transcode into MPEG-PS or playback on the screen. I'll do a little more testing but so far it looks pretty good.

Right now I am cleaning up the code to conform to VLC coding conventions and sorting out which extra DX 9.0 header files are needed that are not yet in mingw.

KenS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.9.0

Postby KenS » 09 Apr 2007 17:19

All coding is finished and tests out OK so we are ready to rock and roll. Hope to make it into VLC 0.9.0

A quick recap on the features:
All channels muxed into a single TS stream are captured
Supports multiple tuners - if it can't capture on one it tries the next one
Currently only supports DVB-T. ATSC support has been coded but not implemented since I cannot test it. DVB-S and DVB-C are not implemented since I cannot test them but these should not be difficult.
All demuxing uses the VLC TS demuxer. However, the filtergraph only works if I connect the DirectShow MPEG2 demux and Transport Information Filter
Standard VLC functionality allows selection of which channel to display and which channel(s) to stream or save to file

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Apr 2007 02:06

All coding is finished and tests out OK so we are ready to rock and roll. Hope to make it into VLC 0.9.0

A quick recap on the features:
All channels muxed into a single TS stream are captured
Supports multiple tuners - if it can't capture on one it tries the next one
Currently only supports DVB-T. ATSC support has been coded but not implemented since I cannot test it. DVB-S and DVB-C are not implemented since I cannot test them but these should not be difficult.
All demuxing uses the VLC TS demuxer. However, the filtergraph only works if I connect the DirectShow MPEG2 demux and Transport Information Filter
Standard VLC functionality allows selection of which channel to display and which channel(s) to stream or save to file
Woohoo! Sounds good :wink:

Question:
Is there the ability to choose the video and audio PID's per channel ?
Some channels are broadcasting the same program on different PID's because of different video resolution (eg 4:3 and 16:9) and different audio languages (eg ENG, FRA) and/or format (eg Stereo, AC3) ?

grobinson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby grobinson » 10 Apr 2007 15:59

Well done Ken! 8)

I've been waiting for over 18 months now to hear of some movement on VLC streaming DVB-T. I'm looking to use it to stream TV to my media player (DSM-320) - it's possible to do but there's just no software out there to do it under Windows. :(

Thanks from all of us who have been waiting for this. :D
Cheers,

Grant

FireW0lf
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FireW0lf » 10 Apr 2007 19:51

Outstanding KenS!

D'you think you could fire a reply in here once it's incorporated into 0.9.0 in a nightly build?

Can't wait to test it out :D

Would be nice if we had access to this part of VLC via the ActiveX component too :P

polyphemus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

BDA - well done!

Postby polyphemus » 10 Apr 2007 23:14

Great stuff.
I must confess I gave up lobbying for this nearly a year ago. Nobody amongst the core VLC dev community seemed to appreciate how critical this feature is.
But you picked up the ball and (apparently) did it all on your own.

This will give VLC a couple more years of life (at least).

Man of the year!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Apr 2007 07:55

It should be incorporated into VLC 0.9.0. Yes.

A future day, in a NB.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

alecava
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alecava » 11 Apr 2007 09:05

Please let us know as soon as it will be available in a nightly build.
I will test it.

Thanks,
Alessandro

KenS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.9.0

Postby KenS » 11 Apr 2007 23:45

Question:
Is there the ability to choose the video and audio PID's per channel ?
Some channels are broadcasting the same program on different PID's because of different video resolution (eg 4:3 and 16:9) and different audio languages (eg ENG, FRA) and/or format (eg Stereo, AC3) ?
What I've done is to tap into the stream as close to source as I could, so that any features of the standard VLC TS demux can be used. This certainly lets me pick specific channels (--programs=nnnn) and IIRC should allow you to choose video and audio pids. I have been able to select audio PIDs from the menu but don't know of any broadcasts with multiple video.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 Apr 2007 15:54

It should be incorporated into VLC 0.9.0. Yes.

A future day, in a NB.
Come on, can't wait to test it :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”