Bangin my head... pls help!

*nix specific usage questions
sjensen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Bangin my head... pls help!

Postby sjensen » 05 Apr 2007 19:33

I need to do a live stream, which I can do no problem as soon as I get this issue fixed...

Using Ubuntu 6.10. Data is provided by (atm) a VCR hooked up via RCA cables to a Magic Mac Box that converts component/rca to firewire, for my live broadcast a TV station will be giving me component/RCA feeds for video and audio. So the VCR is a fair replacement for dev/testing. Same version of VLC on each machine, installed via apt.

Computer A - Dell GX270, my desktop. Old Ubuntu install, updated/upgraded. Video from firewire works fine, but audio is totally screwed via VLC. using dvgrab, both audio and video is fine, and VLC plays the resulting (massive) AVI file no problem.

Computer B - Dell GX260. Fresh Ubuntu 6.10 install, as opposed to a old install slowly updated to 6.10. Audio works great thru both VLC and dvgrab, but I get no video - just a very dark grey (not black, but not static grey) square that is the proper size (pixels) for what should be video. I do get video in Kino though....

So computer B I think has a codec issue, but I'm not sure where to look. I've copied over the win32 codecs that I have on A (my desktop) for myplayer, still no joy. Hopefully, this is a simple thing and easy to fix, and would be my preference.

If I'm stuck using my desktop (computer A), I need to solve the audio issue. Obvious (to me) solution is to tell VLC to grab video stream only from the firewire and to get video from my sound card. I've seen the docs on how to specify a audio device for input using V4L stuff, but none of it applies to either working with stdout/stdin (feed dvgrab to stdout and then read it into VLC) or the dv1394 stuff.

Help on either the codecs or audio (or hey, both if you are in a good mood!) is appreciated.

Thanks!

sjensen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sjensen » 05 Apr 2007 21:20

After checking in IRC, it seems there are issues with teh VLC in Ubuntu 6.10. Updating to the fiesty fawn beta now...

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”