"PTS is out of range" msg: No audio on most files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

"PTS is out of range" msg: No audio on most files

Postby j_hallgren » 14 Mar 2007 23:07

I've found a couple of somewhat similar threads but didn't see they matched my case exactly...anyway, I now get this "PTS is out of range (xxxxxxxx) dropping buffer" when I try to play a WMV, either stored locally or another which is a stream...I'm on W2K but have NOT made any recent changes to drivers or system in that aspect, and these files still play in WMP and in WinAmp...also, I can play a MP3 file just fine.

The lack of audio seems to be related to when I was trying to get audio level adjustment to work properly on my system, and ended up getting volume set to over 100% via keyboard shortcuts...after that was when it stopped working...I've since gotten it back down to "normal", but maybe there is some connection?

After trying some experiments, I now had some audio (at least on one file, ONE time!), but it was somewhat choppy and see a large number of msgs of which this is a sample:

Code: Select all

main warning: PTS is out of range (-1545), dropping buffer main warning: output PTS is out of range (21093), clearing out main warning: input PTS is out of range (45562), trashing main warning: buffer is 93006 in advance, triggering downsampling main warning: input PTS is out of range (3907), trashing main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (41492) main warning: output PTS is out of range (36628), clearing out main warning: input PTS is out of range (43785), trashing main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (60596) main warning: resampling stopped after 892912 usec (drift: -8714) main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (49258) main warning: computed PTS is out of range (74875), clearing out main warning: PTS is out of range (133433), dropping buffer main warning: output PTS is out of range (97224), clearing out main warning: PTS is out of range (40767), dropping buffer main warning: PTS is out of range (-5666), dropping buffer
Any ideas on this issue? I've grown to really like VLC in last few weeks but this makes it essentially unusable! :cry:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Mar 2007 07:29

What is the audio format?

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 16 Mar 2007 17:47

I can't seem to copy/paste the info here, so here's the stream that I'm having trouble with: [url]mms://208.106.162.24/town_chatham[/url]
(It's the local govt access channel 18 for my town)

When stream starts, I get about 1/4 sec of audio, and then it quits.

Odd thing: Last night, I was able to play a MP4 that I'd downloaded (DL.TV episode) with VLC without issues, but that wasn't working either when I posted originally, at least for a while...however, trying to play a local WMV, it's still quiet :(

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Mar 2007 19:31

You link is not particularly helpful to me unless I can download the file for evaluation.

On Windows you could try adding --codec dmo to your command line to force the Windows .dll to be used for decoding WMV instead of FFmpeg which uses the VC-1 decoder (VLC 0.8.6).

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 16 Mar 2007 20:01

You link is not particularly helpful to me unless I can download the file for evaluation.
Unfortunately, due to the size/length of the archived copies of videos from this site, I never download them and only watch as streaming...as I do the live feed on occasion...the shortest archived video that could be D/L'd that I found easily available at site is 33min long (most are over 1hr, some are 3hrs+) and is at [url]mms://208.106.162.24/town_chatham_videos/Board_of_Selectmen/HMSCHATHAM.wmv[/url]
On Windows you could try adding --codec dmo to your command line to force the Windows .dll to be used for decoding WMV instead of FFmpeg which uses the VC-1 decoder (VLC 0.8.6).
Given that I always start VLC via Quick Launch/Shortcut, how would I modify Target to add this parm, as I presume one would do it there?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Mar 2007 21:07

Just after VLC.EXE

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 17 Mar 2007 04:15

I also get "the silent treatment" from the WMV's that are part of Windows Media Encoder install, such as the 399KB "welcome.wmv" file, so these can be used to see what they contain...the other local files that I have issues with are ones that I can't make available on Net unfortunately.

I tried this welcome.wmv with that dmo parameter and without it...same result...NO sound, but the number of error msgs was a bit less with the dmo parm...I have both message logs available if that would be of any use.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 17 Mar 2007 08:33

The only thing of use would be the format info...

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 17 Mar 2007 14:50

Ok...what I ended up doing was a screen print capture from VLC of the info about Channel 18 stream:

and the "welcome.wmv" from my drive:

Hope this helps!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 Mar 2007 07:33

WMa2 audio is supported by both FFmpeg and the Windows media format DMOs (the option I gave you).

It appears that the file is having problems with sync. Try updating your audio drivers.

BTW This is difficult to judge without a sample.

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 18 Mar 2007 15:04

It appears that the file is having problems with sync. Try updating your audio drivers.
Audio drivers for my 4+ yr old system have not been updated by vendor in over 2+ yrs, so mine ARE current...besides, VLC worked just fine for ALL files for 6+ weeks until I maxed out vol (via keyboard shortcuts) to over 100%, as far as I can tell...seems that some hidden setting was tripped by this action.
BTW This is difficult to judge without a sample.
What more can I do? :roll: I've given you a link to a WMV stream that fails, and accessing it for a few seconds is enough to tell whether it works or not; I've given you a link to failing WMV file that could be downloaded; I've given you a pointer to a WMV that is likely on most systems of folks who are involved with media file processing, or is easily available....plus given that it seems that ANY WMV that I try fails, finding one that matches specs of these shouldn't be that difficult.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 Mar 2007 19:09

Try erasing the preferences directory. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”