Firefox plugin - Totally confused.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
magnoliasouth
New Cone
New Cone

Firefox plugin - Totally confused.

Postby magnoliasouth » 31 Jan 2007 01:07

When I installed VLC, I selected to install the Mozilla Plugin. That said, I've read the help file. I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows XP and the help file says:
Quit Firefox or Mozilla

Copy the two files in VLC_Installation_folder\mozilla (usually C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\mozilla) to your mozilla
plugins directory (Usually C:\ProgramFiles\Mozilla\plugins or C:\Program Files\MozillaFirefox\plugins).

Restart Firefox or Mozilla
Well I didn't even get to the copy part. There is no such directory as C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\mozilla. I note the use of the term "usually" but that's not very helpful. There is not a list of files telling me what should be included in said directory, except that it is two files, so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I see that there is a plugin I can download from http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html#VLC. However it doesn't mention the compatible version of Firefox, so I'm a bit skeptical. A lot of things haven't been updated for 2x.

Further, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes warns that VLC crashes with Windows Media files which is definitely not preferred.

I realize that the links are not part of VLC, but I'm trying to demonstrate my confusion on where to begin.

Any suggestions? Isn't there just a very simple way to fix it so that VLC will become my default player within Firefox when embedded sound/video is on a web page?

Please speak to me like I'm two, because I'm not a developer. :oops:

magnoliasouth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby magnoliasouth » 04 Mar 2007 19:40

Can no one help? I really need to get this done and the files are missing.

This says:
If your browser's plugins folder is not detected, copy npvlc.dll and vlcintf.xpt from the mozilla folder of your VLC Media Player installation to your browser's plugins folder.
The dll file is there, but not the xpt. Where can we get this so it will actually work in Firefox?

gfmoore
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gfmoore » 07 Mar 2007 17:43

I too cannot find the folder or the files. I uninstalled and reistalled. is it a Vista issue?

edit: found this post. be interesting to know what happened?

viewtopic.php?t=32336&highlight=firefox+plugin

jornat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jornat » 08 Mar 2007 11:26

I have submitted this issue as a bug in VLC 0.8.6a. Hope to see a solution soon!

Jorn

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”