How to change VLC startup behaviour / instant playback?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
zurgel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to change VLC startup behaviour / instant playback?

Postby zurgel » 06 Mar 2007 15:34

Hi!

I did not find anything about that in the forums:

How can I change VLCs startup behaviour so that it does NOT instantly play the file I double clicked on? What I mean is, I double click on a movie file and VLC comes up. It then automatically plays the file. I want to avoid that. I want VLC not to start playing, when loaded. Like in Quicktime, where a file only plays when you press the "Play" button.

I'm working with Mac, Linux and Windows, so I thought it is a general VLC question.

Thanks in advance.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 06 Mar 2007 17:00

This could be done. Go to: Preferences > Advanced (Check the “Advanced options” box) and check the box “Enqueue items to playlist when in one instance mode”. I’m currently using Windows, so I don’t know if this option is available for the other operating systems, maybe.

zurgel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zurgel » 06 Mar 2007 19:24

That only works if you already got one instance open. This isn't exactly what I want... I just want VLC not to play a file right after starting up but to wait for the user to press a button.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Mar 2007 20:29

Right click, enqueue in playlist or drag'n drop to the playlist.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

zurgel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zurgel » 06 Mar 2007 21:47

Right click, enqueue in playlist
The menu entry in the context menu of Explorer isn't there although I installed that option. Strange... I will explore that later.

Concerning dragging something into the playlist: So, you want to say, there is no way of configuring VLC to generally behave like I pointed out, right? By the way, enqueuing from a context menu of the Finder is not available on Mac OS X, so I searched for a general solution (At first I thought that I missed a configuration entry in preferences).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”