Still Can't View Subtitles! (anyone know why?)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
JapanFan

Still Can't View Subtitles! (anyone know why?)

Postby JapanFan » 08 Jun 2004 23:32

I'm trying to watch a movie that will only play through videolan. I checked and the subtitle file extension is supported by video lan (according to the features page). The movie plays just fine but I still cant see the subs. I tried putting the on the same playlist like you do in some other players but is didn't work.

Please Help!!!
Still trying to watch "Zatoichi"[/b]

pedrodiasxl
New Cone
New Cone

subtitles

Postby pedrodiasxl » 09 Jun 2004 10:29

have you checked if the subtitles track is active?

When the video is playing and the subtitles "suposely" also, check the Video > Subtitles Track, and check if Track 1 is active, if not, there is your problem.

Greets!

maako

Same problem here..

Postby maako » 09 Jun 2004 17:40

I never got this little baby to show any subs either, but so far I never needed any, but now I got myself some movies in strange foreign languages and would like to be able to follow the plot..

I checked the forum and everything seems to be as eazy as lock ´n´ load..
But no.. No subtitles..

So I found this tip"have you checked if the subtitles track is active? .. check the Video > Subtitles Track, and check if Track 1 is active"..
The thing is, my version (0.7.2) has no subtitle track options under "video".. I can't find any options like that at all, anywhere..?

I've seen that there's loads of question about subtitles.. Maybe this subject need a "Sticky: Idiots guide to subtitles"..?

JapanFan

It worked

Postby JapanFan » 09 Jun 2004 18:45

Thanks to the tip I can see the subtitles now. I knew it was going to be some simple solution that I was overlooking.

The video clip has to have Either a seperatt subs file or embedded subs.
If there are no embedded subs the subtitle option in the video catagory wont show up.

If there are seperate subs file go to File>open File.
then open the movie file and then click on the button that says subtitle options (or somehting like that) and then load the subs file. and then hit play.

I hope that helps any one else that has questions about subs in their movies.

BTW: Zatoichi was great!

Lisa T

what about for mac osx 10?

Postby Lisa T » 20 Jun 2004 18:35

Running osx 10.3.2... and am new to VLC, since I just discovered it's a great way to play all sorts of media on a Mac... I found lots of info on subtitles on this b-board, but a lot of it from confused people like me :) I tried doing what you said but it didn't work.

Are there any different instructions for users running on a Mac?

I open the media file and select the option to load subtitles, select the correct file, yet the video starts playing without subtitles and on the Video menu the Subtitles track item is greyed out.

Any advice? Thanks!

djjohnnyb

Same Problem as Lisa

Postby djjohnnyb » 29 Jun 2004 05:06

I have exactly the same situation as Lisa T. Any solutions?

lovelygirl
New Cone
New Cone

syncronizeeeeee

Postby lovelygirl » 02 Jul 2004 04:40

i couldn't see subtitles either i did the track 1 thingy, now i can see them, but they don't syncronize with the video. help!

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2004 07:20

Are you guys even doing anything about this problem. Im running XP and OSX 10.3.4 and your subtitles aren't working.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 08 Aug 2004 15:30

We are doing our best, but "IT doesnt work please fix it" doesn't make the best bug report for us to solve it.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

TallDwarf

Re: syncronizeeeeee

Postby TallDwarf » 09 Aug 2004 20:11

i couldn't see subtitles either i did the track 1 thingy, now i can see them, but they don't syncronize with the video. help!
If your are using .srt or .subs downloaded from Divx subtitle sites, the problem isn't with the player (VLC), it is with the sub file AND the video file: one has extra space at the beginning or the framerate is different (I don't understand how to really adjust the framerate). If the sub are simply delayed you can click "override" and how many seconds to offset the subs.

Note: I prefer VLC in general but if you use the Play Button in "ffmpegX" you can dynamically adjust the subtile delay while the movie is playing via mplayer with the "y" and "g" commands.

Hope this helps.

mike d

also using OSX and unable to view subtitles

Postby mike d » 11 Aug 2004 07:32

i am having the same problem as lisa using vlc media player. i am running OSX 10.2.8 on a mac g4
in the "video" menu the "subtitles" button is greyed out and unclickable.

chinapoppi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chinapoppi » 11 Aug 2004 22:50

Hello Guys~ :roll:

Ok, seeing as though "some" of us could NOT understand what these others are trying to say...I will show you HOW I found a way to load the sub files (.srt) so they will play in VLC

1) DO NOT use the "Quick Open File " ...instead, use "
Open File" option~!!!

2) Add a check, to box titled "
Subtitle"---then click on "Settings"

3) In "settings", Click
Browse and find the Sub(.srt) file and double-click...then after that, click OK

4) Now, your back to the Open..box, click
Browse to load your movie, then click OK

THAT'S IT~~!!

This method is the ONLY way I have found...to load Subs into movie---in an "
EASY TO FOLLOW" format~! (I should be a Moderator, yeah~??) :wink: (Just kidding~!)

sokkra

Postby sokkra » 29 Aug 2004 21:25

I did what was proposed here & i CAN'T load subs.
They won't appear .I use avi file with srt subs.
By the way the subs work easily in media player classic ( without vobsub installed).What am I doing wrong ?Please,help.

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2004 21:40

the name of the subs is the same as the avi.
the srt file is saved as unicode file (not as ascii)
I tried others srt files (ascii ones) but they won't load either. :(

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 29 Aug 2004 23:49

Set Subtitles text encoding in the subtitles dialog to UTF-8

Curtis

Postby Curtis » 30 Aug 2004 03:20

Is it just me or does mobilizing the sub file add crazy resource? I'm getting breaks/hiccups in the audio every few seconds.

Running 0.7.2

:?:

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2004 06:10

works great with subs and everything, but how about ogg ogm files
i can play them, see the subs, but they are not in right order our of sync
any idea how i can put them in sync

sokkra

Postby sokkra » 30 Aug 2004 09:03

That utf-8 thing didn't help.
I still can't see any subs.
OS-- winXP SP1 english.
The subs are .srt and also in english.

sokkra

Postby sokkra » 30 Aug 2004 09:08

I use VLC 0.7.2

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 30 Aug 2004 11:53

@curtis:

You are correct. This problem was already fixed in the development version of VLC.

krave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Same problem here..

Postby krave » 30 Aug 2004 18:59

I never got this little baby to show any subs either, but so far I never needed any, but now I got myself some movies in strange foreign languages and would like to be able to follow the plot..
I am just the same as your problem.I know how to open subs,not only the srt or the sub out of avi,but also the one in mkv or ogm.

But it just works when the sub is English.I am not British ,not America and I want to see my own language. What happened?So many plots,
yeah,so many. I really need help. I like vlc very much,because my computer is so old that I can't play avi through other players.But the question of subs makes me headache.H-E-L-P!!!
My OS is windows 98.Hey,I have said that my computer is very old.

sokkra

Postby sokkra » 30 Aug 2004 20:39

By the way.The problem appeared to be unicode symbols.I replaced this symbol '♪' with this '&' then saved the file as ascii not as unicode.
And no problemo now! :D

I'd like to thank the creators of this perfect player for their great job.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 31 Aug 2004 14:54

if you had sec character encoding to UTF-8 before opening the file, you wouldn't have had to change the unicode character.

BTW. this is not a VLC problem. It is a problem with almost ALL subtitles file formats not specifying in which language they were written.
VLC can only take a guess and pray. If it doesn't work, the user will have to select it by hand..

wawa

Postby wawa » 02 Sep 2004 23:33

I´ve tried it all.. I made it play .srt once, but it does not seem capable of playing .sub files..

What´s going on? I use the latest version (0,72) with osx Panther, and it does not play .sub although it says it can in the readme.

Oh, and there is no subtitles dialog where you can set it to UTF-8 or anything, at least not in the mac version

Otherwise I have nothing but credit to give to this wonderful application, it still is the BEST videoplayer for the mac :)

Still this problem should be addressed, if I´m not doing something wrong that is.. But if I´m doing something wrong,, it still shouldn´t be that hard to make this thing work.

silly me, good work

Postby Guest » 02 Sep 2004 23:46

Man I´m such a retard!! It turned out all the .sub files I had tried were actually to be combined with .idx files, which it states cleary that VLC doesn´t support, in the readme. I tried with a single .sub file, and it worked by following the previously posted supposedly "magic recipe".

So, remember everybody: If the .sub file is like 10MB in size, it is NOT a normal .sub file and is not supported by VLC.

Maximum respect going out to the developers :P

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”