Tutorials, what preferences mean, etc.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
magnoliasouth
New Cone
New Cone

Tutorials, what preferences mean, etc.

Postby magnoliasouth » 01 Mar 2007 04:05

Is there a Help section with tutorials on how to use VLC for non-power users? I'm trying to set my preferences and there are so many options that they may as well be written in Phoenician because I've no idea what they mean. For example, when VLC starts I have to set the volume to 85 every single time. I would prefer to keep it set that way by default. Yet for the life of me I cannot find a simple 'volume' setting in the preferences. Instead there are tons of options for input, output and so on, but nothing just for plain 'ol listening volume. This is just one example of many.

I only just now found that I could get a screen cap of a video. I had no idea this could be done and I've had it awhile. It would've been nice if I had known, or found it easily as I prefer VLC over any other media player for obvious reasons. :wink:

So... is there a total newbie help section anywhere?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 01 Mar 2007 05:21

I'm trying to set my preferences and there are so many options that they may as well be written in Phoenician because I've no idea what they mean.
I know what you mean, the preferences menu can be a little tricky… ok allot tricky, but the developers plan to make this menu quite a bit simpler in their next version of VLC media player (0.9.0).
So... is there a total newbie help section anywhere?

I don’t know about a “Newbie help section”, but maybe you can find some help in VideoLAN’s wiki: http://wiki.videolan.org/Main_Page

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Mar 2007 11:54

If you hover the mouse cursor over most selections, you will get a pop up help.

magnoliasouth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby magnoliasouth » 02 Mar 2007 01:41

Thank you to the both of you, but the hover isn't explaining how to set the volume permanently and I had searched the wiki prior to posting.

There truly needs to be a step by step guide on setting preferences. If I understood them I'd write it myself, but unfortunately I don't.

Does anyone know which setting turns the player's volume up for a default setting?

To illustrate the particular setting I'm wishing to correct, a screencap is here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/M ... vlc001.png

Notice that it is not maxed? I would prefer that it is always at the max setting.

ETA: Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

magnoliasouth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby magnoliasouth » 02 Mar 2007 01:59

Oh good grief! I have it figured out now. :oops:

What was throwing me was the numbers that didn't match. "Default Audio Volume" has numbers that well exceed what the players volume said when I turned it up and I've no idea why those numbers are different.

In any case, I now have it fixed. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”