VistaMP Inspirat - Skin nearly finished

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 25 Feb 2007 15:43

because I never really finished it, I always wanted to wait with a "final" release until VLC supports alpha blending.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Feb 2007 17:13

OK. I still don't know what is alpha blending, but OK. :D
When ipkiss got time/wants
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 25 Feb 2007 21:01

I happen to really like the look of the skin in the above screenshot, but I too hope that alpha blending is incorporated (saw the screenshot of the Windows vista skin). Nice job aLtgLasS, keep up the good work.

Why is it, that Windows media player has all these nice looking skins but such an annoying interface? Please skin designers, convert some of these skins to VLC media player: http://best-skins.net/skins_wmp6.html

And J-b, to get an idea of what alpha blending is and what it can do, click the “screenshot of WMP11” link found in the first post of this thread. :)

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 26 Feb 2007 08:34

Concerning alpha blending, png images, which are used for the skin, do not only have red green and blue information per pixel but also a transparency value for each pixel, the alpha value (ARGB). But VLC Skins2 does only render totally transparent pixels as transparent, all other semi-transparent pixels are drawn as when one put a black pixel underneath the transparent one, so basically alpha-blending is that pixels can be not simply fully-transparent or not transparent but semi-transparent.
Here an example image, left side how it should normally be rendered and is obviously rendered by the browser, right side how VLC would render it.

Concerning WMP Conversions, that's just a matter of copyright one cannot just go and convert a skin to VLC if he has not the permission of the author.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 26 Feb 2007 17:03

You’ll have to excuse me, but I have no idea how to get this skin working with VLC. I’ve downloaded the zip file of the Non-transparent skin, but all I get are a bunch of PNGs. Aren’t I supposed to be looking for a vlt that I can extract to the skins directory. Am I missing something? :?

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 26 Feb 2007 17:10

When being in the open skin dialog choose xml file from the dropdown list and open the theme.xml included in the zip.

BTW: The download link leads to the .vlt file...

amonamarth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amonamarth » 16 Mar 2007 12:19

any others skins you might want to share ? a little bit more user-friendly ?

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 16 Mar 2007 15:34

I don't know what you want to say with user-friendly because the skin is as user-friendly as it can be...
And it's not a matter of sharing skins its a matter of creating skins and atm I have other things to do, do one yourself.

Return to “Skins”