Multichannel audio support?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chasgag
New Cone
New Cone

Multichannel audio support?

Postby Chasgag » 22 Feb 2007 01:15

Hi,

I'm a new user trying to configure VLC player 0.8.6a for Windows to stream DV with separate audio from PCI audio capture card. I installed a DivX compatible Maudio card which does only 2chans., and the VLC player sees it.

However before I drop $500 on a multichannel Divx box, I'd like to know if VLC will see more than the 1st 2 channels of input.

Does anyone have any experience with this? A reply from VLC audio developer would be most excellent!

Thanks,
Chas

Chasgag
New Cone
New Cone

RE: Multichannel audio support?

Postby Chasgag » 22 Feb 2007 04:35

...sorry, in previous post i referred to "DivX" compatibility, actually I meant to say "DirectX"

Chas

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 22 Feb 2007 07:58

While PCM audio is the end result fed to every converter (two's complement or raw audio) there are only a few programs capable of encoding multi-channel PCM audio to ac3 or DTS and a few more programs that are capable of encoding AAC or WMap, but these at present are not S/PDIF compatible. Also it can be noted that there are no standard channel mappings, but they are different for many formats.

VLC can not do this for you.

You might want to check out SureCode by Minitonkia Audio for ac3 and DTS (S/PDIF compatible) which do share common channel mappings.

Chasgag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Chasgag » 22 Feb 2007 19:37

DJ,

Thanks for your reply. I think you misunderstood my question: I am looking for a solution to simply pass-through more than 2 ch. uncompressed linear PCM, in discrete channels. I do not want to encode Ac3 or DTS. Channel mapping is not a concern, a simple 1:1 routing is required.

So what I need to know is if VLC supports capture (live) of more than 2 chans of audio, ie., if i use a DirectX device which has more than 2 input channels, will VLC see the additional channels? And, will it pass the audio in separate discrete streams to the network address I want to stream to? Intuition says yes, because when I installed a 2-ch MAudio PCI card, the input options in VLC came up as they are named by MAudio driver. However it could be that VLC is only configured to support maximum 2ch of audio.

If anyone in the forum has experience doing this or knows of development details which would allow answer yes/no, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Chas

studioj
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Multichannel audio support?

Postby studioj » 19 Jul 2009 15:35

Yes, also looking for the answer to this question...my best guess from reading many posts is that VLC has no routing ability which would be required on both sides of the stream for streaming and monitoring. Please chime in if anyone has a solution for this! Thanks-

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”