Can't make VLC the default media player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can't make VLC the default media player

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 05:47

It appears there is no way to make VLC the default media player on XP. Note, this is not the same as associating various file types with the app.

Consequently my MS Keyboard will not recognize VLC as a media player for the purpose of assigning special keys. Apparently VLC lacks certain registration information that would qualify it in that regard. I suppose the registry keys could be created manually, but that's a lot of work and not the right way to do it.

Thanks,
p.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Feb 2007 10:23

Yes, good remark. Any idea of the keys needed to register it as a media player ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 14:11

Ok, with some nice help I found the Reg location for system clients at HKLM\software\clients...

I've made a key for VLC, but I'm not yet up to the InstallInfo subkey details, which is the heart of the matter. Here are the instructions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... ngapps.asp

If VLC wants to be on desktops - and it deserves to be - becoming eligible as a system default is a crucial task that needs to be accomplished.

p.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 21 Feb 2007 17:03

Thank you for this information. I have the same type of keyboard and I rather it be used to control VLC instead of :roll: Windows media player.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 18:03

Ok, I've played with it, making up fake reinstall commands. I get VLC to show as a choice for default media app, but it won't register because there are no commands behind my pointers. So the developers would have to attend to this for it to work.

bw,
p.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Feb 2007 21:17

Historically an install of any program does not include special keys for keyboards or mouse. As these devices are not all created equally. A programming function should be included with your device to do this yourself if so desired.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 22:32

I don't think you understand. The keyboard reads registered system clients from the Registry. It's the responsibility of the app to write itself there, then the keyboard, or other apps or devices, can read it and offer it as a choice.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Feb 2007 22:56

While this is a nice idea, I have never seen it work in practice. I have programmable multi-media keys and a utility to set these keys. This works! But these devices were not all created equally so it can't be made part of a program. Same is true for a programmable mouse.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 22 Feb 2007 00:35

Maybe VLC should consider conforming to Windows standards on this point. Think of how many users would be added if the VLC system option were available to them, if they could control basic calls and interface functions via their input devices, and how with those new users would come corresponding levels of support and volunteering for the project. Just a thought.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 22 Feb 2007 00:44

Conforming or not conforming to the Window standard is not what is at issue with devices that are not standard. All manufactures are different and use different methods to program. That's why there are utilities to do this for the end user. I'm not quite sure why this is so difficult for you to understand and or appreciate. This is also why a program does not make it apart of the install.

Let me put this another way, ain't going to happen, not now or in the future as long as there are no standards between manufactures for the various devices and even though you would like to believe there are standards does not make this a reality when there are none. Even if Microsoft were to create a standard does not mean that other manufactures are going to follow it or that other programs need to implement it when no one else is following it.

Each year countless people buy universal remote controls for their TVs, DVD, CD and etc. players and they get thrown away or returned because when the user points the remote at the unit it does NOT work. They seem to lack the knowledge that the device needs to be programmed and never read the instructions that came with the device. To me this is the epitome of mid-American stupidity.

Microsoft is an American company that as created their version of a standard that no one else is following and to add stupidity to this they do not seem to create a utility to program the device so other programs can use the device. Instead they believe that all programs should conform to them and that is where the stupidity lies, in this belief.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”