Switching to Skinnable Interface locks up VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Switching to Skinnable Interface locks up VLC

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 03:24

Hi, I had this problem before, and now it's time to get to the root of it.

I have the latest VLC for Windows (XP), and it works fine.

But if I switch to Skinnable Interface in the Preferences, I can open the program, but trying to play a proven good .mp3 file renders the app "not responding" within 10 secs.

I have not specced a skin for the prog. I smart looking plain skin comes up, so I assume it's a default of some sort.

Then when I got back to non-skinnable, using the default interface, the prog works fine.

Must be something basic here. Computer has no known probs.

Thanks,
p.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 21 Feb 2007 03:48

I would reset those settings and just change this in the start menu (VideoLAN, Quick settings, Interface, Set main interface to skinnable). It might work better this way.

Make sure the player is closed before switching the interface.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 04:08

Thanks for the response. I tried that but same result: the new interface comes up. When I try to play the .mp3 I see the shuttle move a bit but no sound comes out. Then the app goes Not Responding in Task Manager.

Wondering why I have this besetting problem on this system.

p.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 04:31

I ran a debug log. I'll spare you the entire thing, but I found a number of missing folders, such as:

skins2 debug: cannot open directory C:\Documents and Settings\Paulo\Application Data\vlc\skins
skins2 debug: found skin C:\apps\audio\VLC\skins\default.vlt
skins2 debug: cannot open directory C:\apps\audio\VLC\skins2
skins2 debug: cannot open directory C:\apps\audio\VLC\share\skins
skins2 debug: cannot open directory C:\apps\audio\VLC\share\skins2
main debug: using interface module "skins2"

In Prefs I specced the default skin. It seems these setting are coming from a previous installation that should have been wiped out. I haven't found where they're stored.

p.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 04:33

ok, I think I'm getting near the problem. I downloaded a new skin, chose skinnable interface, then selected the new skin, and it plays.

It seems the problem is that the old skin, called skin2, shouldn't exist, yet it displays. Wish I could find it and reinstall, because I prefer it.

Thanks,
p.

paul_1149
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby paul_1149 » 21 Feb 2007 04:38

I believe that nailed it. I d/l'd the skin bundle, and it's loading them and playing fine. Must have been a semi-working skin artifact clogging the works.

Be blessed,
p.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”