Please improve UI for watching Videos

Feature requests for VLC.
tempelmann
New Cone
New Cone

Please improve UI for watching Videos

Postby tempelmann » 03 Apr 2012 19:46

I've been a long time and quite happy user of VideoLAN, as it's always been great for watching movies with its many options and support for many video formats.

Now I have a set of features requests that apply foremost to the UI on OS X (applies to v2.0.1):

1. The << and >> buttons next to the (>) button are troublesome: If I try to pause the movie by clicking on the (>) button, I may accidentally click on the neighboring prev/next buttons - if that happens, the app switches to another movie and my currently watched movie is lost. There is no Undo to get back to the position that I had just been watching. Instead, I need to fast-forward the movie again and try to find the spot where I broke it off. That's not good, as this happens all the time to me since v2. Please do something about this, such as not using these two << and >> buttons to switch to the prev/next movie, but instead for scrubbing (ff/rew). Or place these buttons somewhere else where I cannot accidentally hit them when I want to pause or restart the movie.

2. That brings me to an even more valuable feature request: Please have VideoLAN remember the position of each recently watched movie, and provide a way to get back to that point quickly. Not only would this help with problem #1 above, but also in cases where, while watching a movie, I double click some other movie file in the Finder, not realizing that this will replace the currently watched movie in VideoLAN. With this "remember last position" feature added, I can later go back to the previously watched movie, right to the point where I left it. I suggest to support this for the amount of movies that are remembered in the "Open Recent" menu, and it would work just by going back to the last position whenever I switch back to any of these recent movies.

Thanks for considering these suggestions.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”