[suggestion] fauxD, realtime 2D to stereo-3D conversion

Feature requests for VLC.
forart.it
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

[suggestion] fauxD, realtime 2D to stereo-3D conversion

Postby forart.it » 05 Aug 2010 15:56

With the advent of stereoscopic view, it would be great to have "something" to exploit this technology.
Yes, that's right, fauxD will pulfrich your videos into pseudo-stereo-3D in real-time (at most SD and sub/near-SD resolutions). I know there are sophisticated stereo-3D buffs out there just waiting to flame me for offering this, but I think fauxD is far too entertaining to keep to myself any longer.

The sense of 'presence' offered by this technique can be quite impressive under the right conditions. Imagery in the frame needs to be moving horizontally for the best effect (just a few pixels can often be enough). Rapid camera and subject motions will defeat this technique, and so will a stationary camera staring at an unchanging scene.

By default fauxD will produce red-cyan anaglyphs from your videos, but by changing one argument this can easily support other stereo frame-types; such as Over-Under, Side-By-Side, or Row-Interlaced (for shutter-glasses). See the documentation or script comments for more details.

So dust-off those old paper or LCD glasses and enjoy something in 3D!
Official fauxD 3ad @ Doom9

;)
>>Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”