Skip/cut unwanted scenes during playback.

Feature requests for VLC.
sirfmein
New Cone
New Cone

Skip/cut unwanted scenes during playback.

Postby sirfmein » 26 Mar 2010 06:22

Some movies do contain adult scenes which we would like to cut or skip before watching the movie with family.
This is a feature request. Please add the feature to cut or skip unwanted scenes during playback so that vlc player can skip such scenes when we are going to watch the same movie with family. User should be made able to make a record file in the same folder which contains the information of the scenes to be skipped.
I have heard that KMplayer (or any other player, I do not know the exact name) do contain this feature, The player makes a file in the same folder that keeps the records of the scenes to be skipped. But I have not tried that. I am VLC fan :)

I am Not so good in english. SoRrY for any mistakes in this post.
This is my first post on videolan forum.

Best Regards
Brar
Best Regards,
Brar

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Skip/cut unwanted scenes during playback.

Postby VLC_help » 26 Mar 2010 17:14

This has been requested multiple times. Please, use search before posting.

sirfmein
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sirfmein » 27 Mar 2010 21:45

Sorry ! I could not find anything in search with keywords "skip unwanted scenes" , "cut unwanted scenes" etc. etc. So I posted it here.
Is vlc team already working on it? Just want to know if they will consider user requests add this feature or not.
Best Regards,
Brar

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Mar 2010 17:31

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39035&hilit=censor#p121021
that has more info. I haven't seen any discussion on mailing list, so I am guessing no one has committed anything yet.

tuberoseinrain
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tuberoseinrain » 30 Dec 2019 07:22

It is extremely easy to make skip(s) in the playback of a video (and possibly an audio) file in VLC. Follow these steps:

1. Open the video file in VLC.

2. Click on the “File” tab and the last option would be “Save Playlist”. Click on it. (This is how it looks on mac, and I assume it should be the same on Windows version of VLC as well. If not, you only need to find the “Save Playlist” option in one of the tabs.)

3. In the opened window, write an optional name and make sure the selected format is M3U (.m3u). Then save it exactly in the folder in which the video (or audio) file is located.

4. Then go to that folder and open the created m3u file with TextEdit on mac (or with Notepad on Windows).

5. If, for example, the name of your video file is “School.mkv”, then the text in the m3u file is something like the following text.
(For those who might not know, the “.mkv” in the mentioned name is not a part of the actual name and it is actually the format of the file in our example and it can be different for different types of files. So the name of the file in our example is “School”)

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:617,School.mkv
School.mkv

6. In this step you need to add the following command to the above-mentioned text:

Let’s imagine the video file’s duration is 10:17 and you want VLC to skip from 2:47 to 4:51 during the playback. For this purpose, you first need to convert these times to seconds.

For converting times to seconds, you can use this free online tool:

https://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/hh_mm_ss_to_seconds/

So based on our example, you want VLC to play the video file from second 1 (0:01) until second 167 (2:47) and then from second 291 (4:51) until the end which is second 617 (10:17). So the code you should prepare will look like this:

#EXTVLCOPT:start-time=1
#EXTVLCOPT:stop-time=167
School.mkv
#EXTVLCOPT:start-time=291
#EXTVLCOPT:stop-time=617
School.mkv

7. Then you should add this command to the original text in the m3u file. The final result based on our example looks like the following code. Please note that you should delete the “School.mkv” which is mentioned in the third line of the original m3u file:

#EXTM3U
School.mkv
School.mkv

8. Save the changes. Then instead of opening the video file, open the m3u file with VLC.

That’s It!!! VLC will play the portions of the video you have indicated in the m3u file.

A few points to mention:

1. If you want multiple skips in different parts of the video, you can simply add more same commands. For instance, in the following code there are two skips (from 2:47 until 4:51 and from 7:02 until 9:25):

#EXTM3U
School.mkv
#EXTVLCOPT:stop-time=422
School.mkv
#EXTVLCOPT:start-time=565
School.mkv

2. Don’t change the number that is mentioned in the second line of the original m3u file. In my example it is 617, but it will be different in other examples. So you don’t need to change it. (It is actually the total duration of the video file in seconds).

3. These skips will not ruin the lip-sync or subtitle-sync and everything will work well.

4. Don’t forget to include the video file’s format next to the name of the file. As you see above, I have written (.mkv) wherever I have mentioned the name of the video file.

Good Luck

trysting
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby trysting » 27 Aug 2022 23:11

Wonderful reply, I wish there was some way to tick useful solutions on this forum.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”