filename column on the playlist

Feature requests for VLC.
mikeloeven
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

filename column on the playlist

Postby mikeloeven » 23 Jan 2010 00:40

sometimes the actual metadata title and the filename are different and it gets confusing when there is no column option to just see the darn filename this shouldn't be very hard to add and is quite usefull when metatada titles dont contain the eppisode numbers. frankly i am wondering why you added somthing like uri but not filename

whk102
New Cone
New Cone

Re: filename column on the playlist

Postby whk102 » 07 Feb 2023 17:18

VLC does not have any option or possibility to display the file name permanently in the theme list. I have 500 songs with the same name "new song" and it's very inconvenient to use VLC since it doesn't tell me what file it's playing and it's complicated to waste time editing the metadata of each file.

The developers may have thought that it was not necessary or that nobody would want to see the filenames and simply deliberately omitted this option which for some like us is so useful.

Unfortunately VLC is not flexible enough to configure the columns in a custom way or to hide the name column.

It has been proposed multiple times that it is possible to look at the filename instead of the metadata name but no one has wanted to listen, which is why I currently use audacious.

audiolan
New Cone
New Cone

Re: filename column on the playlist

Postby audiolan » 14 Jun 2024 14:52

Local filename could be found in "URI" column, for local files it will look like full path name with "file:////" prefix.

Since
- columns are usually narrow
- filename is at the right edge of very long string
- no option to justify text inside column (default is "write text from left to right and truncate the remainder")

I vote for "filename" column.

Thank you.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”