Optimized Scaling for 4:3 aspect ratio on 16:10 screen

Feature requests for VLC.
andyshedd
New Cone
New Cone

Optimized Scaling for 4:3 aspect ratio on 16:10 screen

Postby andyshedd » 15 Sep 2009 09:42

This would be a combination of a crop that would take off as much off the top as a CRT television would, coupled with a slight (meaning virtually unnoticable) change in aspect ratio to allow nearly all of the 4:3 image to stretch across a 16:10 screen. My D-Link Media Player does this automatically and the effect is quite nice. I guess this would translate into a new aspect ratio setting as well as a new crop setting.

kurkosdr
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Optimized Scaling for 4:3 aspect ratio on 16:10 screen

Postby kurkosdr » 19 Sep 2009 23:32

Why crop the image? I mean, how much cropping is according to your view "appropriate"? I say that because there are shows that have information in the very top and very bottom (ex financial news) and cropping some of it off results in a strange result. My Sharp Aquos had a feature like that (cropping the image if there is a black area with or without letters at the top or at the bottom) and I hated right away. I could never tell if the image I was getting was the real one. Fortunately I could turn it off.

If you mean streching the video to fit the 16:10 screen, you can do it by right click -> Video -> Aspect Ratio -> 16:10. But you can't save the setting.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”