Time for multicore support, guys

Feature requests for VLC.
kurkosdr
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Time for multicore support, guys

Postby kurkosdr » 30 Aug 2009 23:41

Here I am with my dual core computer (CPU: T2500), trying to play a 800p or 1080p mkv file, encoded with H264. Unfortunately, video is playing all choppy, as VLC loses half as much frames as it plays. Knowing that the 800p video should be playing at least decently with such processor, my eye falls on the task manager, where I notice that VLC takes advantage of just 60% percent of the CPU.

So, here it is, a request for multicore/multithread support in VLC. I am aware that, with the recent drop in hardware prices, programmers out there tend to think that every user oughts to own a Core2Quad with at least 3GBs of ram, but since VLC can't take advantage of all those extra cores, I really wonder how fast exactly your processor needs to be in order to play the 1080p mkv file or, god forbid, an 1080p m2ts with DTS sound.

Is multicore support really so hard guys? Having multicore support in software like Mp3 encoders isn't top priority, but here, we are talking about HD video. Just about every relevant software (eg TSRemux, GOM player) has multicore support. Otherwise, I dare to say the software is more like a coding experiment, as few people are able to use it to actually view HD video.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Time for multicore support, guys

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Aug 2009 23:48

Discussed and over discussed here. Topic locked.

VLC is threaded, all codecs are not.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”