Icon Changing

Feature requests for VLC.
g_hardinger
New Cone
New Cone

Icon Changing

Postby g_hardinger » 09 Aug 2009 16:42

The first time I downloaded VLC I saw that the Icons that showed up in window explorer show different Icons for .avi and say .mp4. My computer caught a nasty virus and I had to reload my OS (XP). Now it does come up except with the standard Icon. Is there a way you could add this feature back or tell me how to get it back. I would be nice to visually see which file type your dealing with. If it were changeable it would be great.
thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Icon Changing

Postby VLC_help » 10 Aug 2009 15:48

AFAIK there has been only one VLC icontype in Windows. So I am guessing you had some other program installed that changed them.

g_hardinger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby g_hardinger » 16 Aug 2009 01:28

I know that when I clicked on it it opened up VLC...... wierd. Ok can you guys make it work that way with different Icons for different .ext's?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Aug 2009 18:33

You can change icons manually if you want different icons for different file types. Either via registry or Windows Explorer (if Windows XP or 2000).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35494&start=495
that thread has some icon examples for different file types.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 21 Aug 2009 23:04

You can change icons manually if you want different icons for different file types. Either via registry or Windows Explorer (if Windows XP or 2000).
It's not you it's the negligence of Windows for keeping such a TEDIOUS method even when wanting to assign a batch amount of icons file extensions.

Currently VLC doesn't have it's own proper file icons (a.k.a mime-type icons)... I was previously pushing for the release of my icons in the Windows & Linux VLC builds but since have lost little interest.... I will get back on this subject and come up with a final fix for the last icons I posted before submitting them to the VLC mailing list as a proposal.

Meanwhile there is a lovely new Windows app called Assox (I find it so brilliant to use, minimal and portable app). Before Assox there were virtually no apps on Windows that can properly configure file associations with settings. Assox just let you custom assign icons to any applications with many settings/variables, supports Vista and Win 7 too :D

When you press the 'Settings' button on Assox it will open the assox.ini file with your own text editor and this ini file is always made in the apps same folder

The 1.1 beta of Assox, I believe, now supports user's adding bracketed ext's in the description of each file type e.g. VLC media file (.wma) , so the "(.wma)" etc etc individual for each. Sorry for the extra info, I dont develop or work for Assox only have become a keen user.

If some or all of Assox's code (if C or C++) was made open-source then it's capabilities can be included in the currently crappy file associator in VLC
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”