Framerate doubler and Lanzos Resize

Feature requests for VLC.
widescreen169
New Cone
New Cone

Framerate doubler and Lanzos Resize

Postby widescreen169 » 21 Jul 2009 05:17

Before I start with anything, I love this app, great functionality plays all my rips and all common file types.

These requests are the only features that are stopping me from using only Mac OS X. Currently, If I want to watch a film, I'll always restart bootcamp into Windows and use ffdshow with Media Player Classic because it has a framerate doubler (for progressive videos) in the Deinterlacing option as well as Yadif deinterlacing with a framerate doubler (for interlaced videos). These produce super smooth videos at around 50fps instead of a stuttery 24fps.

The second feature request is a software upscaler, currently, I believe vlc uses a resizer. Ffdshow in Windows uses a Lanzos or Spline resizer producing good and sharp images that could rival a hardware DVD upscaler (Like a Blu-Ray player). Other players on this platform are capable such as Mplayer OSX but I prefer VLC to any other player on OSX. If these features were to be added then I would greatly appreciate it and would no longer have the need for Windows, however, non-mac users who use VLC will also benefit greatly.

I know these features are taxing on the CPU but computers nowadays with 2 or more cores are more than capable.

These features would be an excellent addition to an already great app and for me it would get rid of the need for a Windows on my mac and other OS users will have an alternative to ffdshow.

Thanks
Peace

PS I've tried ffdshow under Crossover, VMware, Wine, no go so PLEEEEEAAAASE!!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Framerate doubler and Lanzos Resize

Postby VLC_help » 21 Jul 2009 17:18

Swscale filter in VLC should support Lanczos, but I don't know if it works on all platforms. Frame doubler has been requested earlier.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42137&hilit=doubler#p131634

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”