why not access systems codecs for local playback only

Feature requests for VLC.
Bobs not your uncle

why not access systems codecs for local playback only

Postby Bobs not your uncle » 14 Dec 2004 10:42

Why not access systems codecs for local playback only, but leave VLC's main open source focused functionality as is. i.e., add the option of a playback plugin directory.

This solution, I think, could resolve the interests of those who push the open source message, and those who just wish to view local files.

After all VLC most often is used in an OS environment (windows) that is anything but open source. Although Apple is heading the open ksource way. Recall how Mozilla?/ Netscape became (for a time) the alternative to the monolithic closed source browser MS Explorer. It did so via use of plugins that allowed it to access most any file then available on the web.

This would solve 70% of the why can't I play video source "xyz" requests, add functionality to a great wee app. and still encourage the open source message.
cheers jw

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 14 Dec 2004 11:16

The problem is mainly time.
What you're suggesting could be mostly done by implementing support for DirectShow codecs (ie. coding a directshow decoder plugin for VLC). However this isn't easy and I am not interested in spending time on this (and it happens that I also am the only win32 developer for VLC).

Patches will be welcome though.
(We already have a DMO decoder plugin so this could be used as a starting base).

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”