Have VLC Remember Graphic Equalizer Settings

Feature requests for VLC.
VLC2342
New Cone
New Cone

Have VLC Remember Graphic Equalizer Settings

Postby VLC2342 » 25 Dec 2008 20:17

I have 0.9.8a. I'm a big fan of the graphic equalizer called "headphones" with "2 pass" and it gets really tedious having to turn it on every single time I play a tune. I searched troubleshooting and apparently the option for VLC to remember to keep it turned on doesn't exist. PLEASE, somebody create this incredibly simple option and save me a bunch of grief.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Have VLC Remember Graphic Equalizer Settings

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Dec 2008 14:36

Known bug. We are working on it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Konpachi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Konpachi » 26 Feb 2009 19:44

I'm going to have to agree I just got the new version today to find no "audio equalizer" feature which is one of the MAIN reasons I use VLC over say WMP. Not to sound like a broken record, but shouldn't this feature have been a basic requirement for an updated version of the player? I'm not one to point fingers but someone isn't making a list and checking it twice.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Feb 2009 21:01

Duh, what you are talking about? Equalizer is there, but has a small bug.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

BloodHolds
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BloodHolds » 02 Aug 2009 01:14

It really is a drag that you can't save Equalizer settings, I realise it is a known bug - but it has been known for a while.

While the bug is being fixed maybe it would be possible to allow user preset to be saved, so that it would show up in the preset dropdown list.

What would be really great is if you could associate user defined equalizer settings (or preset settings) with a music genre. This could be accomplished be reading the audio files properties tags - looking for genres (or keywords within the genre tag). This would allow VLC to dynamically switch between equalizer presets. So, for example if I have a preset that I like to use with Pop [genre] it would load the user defined presets that I had associated with that genre. Then if the next track on my playlist was fusion/jazz it would load the equalizer settings I had associated with that genre. I've been awaiting this breakthrough from some device or app. - yet no one has done it yet (that I know of), maybe VLC could be the first!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Aug 2009 21:11

While the bug is being fixed maybe it would be possible to allow user preset to be saved, so that it would show up in the preset dropdown list.
It is easier to fix existing bug than add new preset saving and loading options.

BloodHolds
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BloodHolds » 06 Aug 2009 13:36

Thanks for the reply, but you are stating the obvious. I thought this section was for feature requests, which is what I was making. I only mentioned rolling up the feature with the bug fix because (as a programmer myself), I would rather do it that way because there is common fuctionality (loading/saving settings) between the fix and feature.

If I have mis-posted then please tell me where should I submit my feature request?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Aug 2009 16:04

This is the place for feature request. What I meant on earlier post is, that adding presets that you can save would require major rewrite of eq-module and possible some GUIs, because the presets should be supported in all versions, not just in QT4.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 06 Aug 2009 22:45

Yes this is a place for a feature request.

In SM Player there is an option on the Equalizer control called "set preset as default" - which is what would resolve this request, to elaborate on this i think on the main VLC player window there could be some type of permanent displayed notification (like a tiny icon or text) for when this type of setting is enabled/on; the notification would benefit multi users and would be important.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

raimo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby raimo » 03 Sep 2009 22:39

Same here.
Everytime I open a new audio or video file I have to set the equalizer again.

I have never had this in previous versions.
My version is 1.0.1

flybyspam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flybyspam » 17 Nov 2009 19:44

VLC player is the best media player i've used thus far. I have Audigy digital THX surround, and when the equalizer and spatial settings have been set right, the sound quality is toe curling. Unfortunately, resetting these controls every time I watch a movie is way too time consuming and VLC's default settings give unacceptable (fuzzy) sound. It's too bad that this obtrusive error exists. My equalizer settings save in Zoom Player though....

Brad

brooke.waits
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brooke.waits » 30 Dec 2009 00:03

I was just going through the preferences on my VLC player, I have version 1.0.1 and I noticed that in the bottom left hand corner it says simple or all and if you click all and then go to the arrow next to audio, it brings up the equalizer settings and you can save it to keep the settings you would like. I closed out my player after I did this and then reopened it with some different music and checked the settings and they stayed the same. Hope this helps.

ultimateremedy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ultimateremedy » 08 Jan 2010 08:19

ya its woks if you set it through
Tools -> Preferences -> (enable Show Settings = All) from Menu Select Audio -> Filters -> Equalizers -> From PreSet Equalizers drop-down select your preset and Save.

happy VLC :)

sharptooth53
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sharptooth53 » 28 Feb 2010 06:24

"ya its woks if you set it through
Tools -> Preferences -> (enable Show Settings = All) from Menu Select Audio -> Filters -> Equalizers -> From PreSet Equalizers drop-down select your preset and Save.".........................................

attention:::::
{that is only to load the different program created presets,

flat
classical
full bass
etc.}

not if you made your own adjustments, which i do all the time because none of these presets sound good enough with my speakers. i always have to adjust each one manually. i hope vlc hasn't given up on changing this because it isn't requested like how i would like it to be......equalizer preset: custom

arbalu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby arbalu » 06 Sep 2010 16:56

VLC equilizer can be set and save in a easy method using VLC skinned mode.

just follow this illustrated method http://electromice.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... lizer.html

clarkepeters
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clarkepeters » 28 Oct 2010 08:06

I'm using 0.8.6e Janus on ubuntu.
After I adjust my own desired settings in the equalizer, I just go to settings > preferences (advanced options checked) > audio > filters > equalizer
Then I just click save, I don't do anything else and each time I bring up vlc again, the settings are there. (Actually, when not enable and without a playlist playing, it will show flat, but as soon as you start the playlist and click on "enable" it will jump into your last settings.

Hope that helps someone else

PhredE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.8
Operating System: Win10Pro

Postby PhredE » 08 Jul 2014 22:58

NOTE: I think it's important to realise that in version 2.1.3 Rincewind the vital final setting is described a little differently to what's given here.
The vital setting is under Tools | Preferences, [All radio-button selected (bottom-left)], Filters. Stop there.
It's on this page that the ticks have to be placed to make your prior filter settings 'stick'. You'll see, for example, normvol:equalizer in the lower chosen filters field.
If you've made adjustments to filters elsewhere in the interface, the changes will now be in effect each time you start VLC.
PhredE
9th July, 2014

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

'Placing the tics' means, exactly what?

Postby MarEden » 30 May 2016 01:44

This thread seems to be the final, definitive and most accurate instruction set for making equalizer changes persist, and I'm trying to follow it:
It's on this page that the ticks have to be placed ...
Unfortunately, PhredE hasn't been active for about two years, so much appreciated if someone who sees this post could fill me in on this point: exactly what are ... 'the tics'?

It makes me think of some sort of a 'check mark' being placed in a box -- but that's obviously not it.

Also, if someone can help me with 'the tics', could someone also please clarify, the term, 'lower chosen filters field'? Or, exactly how does this field's label read, as seen on the screen? I can see no field names carrying one or more of these words.

I'm trying to follow the directions, which are apparently quite good, but am not seeing the items to which they refer. :shock: Perhaps I am going blind, in that no one else has asked?

:? Help, from anyone, please?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 30 May 2016 14:01

VLC menu:
Tools > Preferences > Show settings = All > Audio \ Filters: enable/disable (tick/untick) appropriate audio filters here.
Then expand the [+]Filters tree by clicking the "+" sign to set up appropriate filters.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 04 Jun 2016 02:09

Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”