Minimal View Controller

Feature requests for VLC.
aka120
New Cone
New Cone

Minimal View Controller

Postby aka120 » 12 Oct 2008 21:12

Hello All,

I will start this off with a very big Thanks, for such a great media player that's truly standalone in every way I've encountered. That being said, a media player should be just that, a media player, able to play all or at least the very most popular media formats, and hands down VLC Player is #1 in this field.

Ok, so I've upgraded to VLC Media Player v0.9.4, and right away love the improvements.

There is just one request I have, is it possible to include a Minimal View Controller, same as the Fullscreen Controller.
Where the mouse and controller disappear after a few seconds of inactivity, and with any given activity the Controller reappears.

If this option is already available, my apologies for overlooking it, but i really looked hard for this and found nothing. The right click on screen option is ok, but i would absolutely love the Controller to appear and disappear same as the Fullscreen Controller does.

Thanks again for such a great program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Minimal View Controller

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Oct 2008 12:15

So you like MinimalView, but you want a controller in that mode?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 13 Oct 2008 14:01

I think that what he is looking for is that if the mouse is not on the VLC view, that the window decorations (titlebar,controller etc) disappear after a while, but return when the mouse hovers over it again (alla WMP ? )
Don't use PMs for support questions.

aka120
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aka120 » 13 Oct 2008 15:22

:) you are correct j-b

In minimal view you are restricted to right clicking or using hot-keys to control the audio/video

And, in Fullscreen mode you have complete functionality with the controller

I think it would be great to implement this auto hiding/unhidden controller into the minimal view, giving it a complete user friendly experience with this window viewing mode :D

Hey, thanks for your time to read my inquiring post, i appreciate it very much!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Oct 2008 16:14

Well, no.

If you don't want a minimal view, don't use a minimal view...
Seriously, If you want a controller, use the complete interface, which is just the minimalview + the controller.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

aka120
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aka120 » 14 Oct 2008 08:39

Fair enough. Assumption does usually lead one in the wrong direction, so it did with me.

I suppose i had not been as clear as i hoped, the controller in Fullscreen mode autohides and with mouse or keyboard activity it reappears. This is what i was referring to possibly implementing into MinimalView. So, MinimalView would still retain is minimalistic characteristics with the same controller functionality as the Fullscreen mode.

Anyhow, that's enough of that. Thank you for your time and it's much appreciated!

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MadlyMad » 15 Oct 2008 12:40

Hi guys
Well, no.

Seriously, If you want a controller, use the complete interface, which is just the minimalview + the controller.
honestly I never understood this opinion j-b, for me not implementing FS controller because you are in minimal view is nonesense, this is two completely different things,
IMHO the user should be able to choose by himself if he wants or not the FS controller in normal view (which is working) AND in minimal view (which is not :/ )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Oct 2008 16:47

Hi guys
Well, no.

honestly I never understood this opinion j-b, for me not implementing FS controller because you are in minimal view is nonesense, this is two completely different things,
IMHO the user should be able to choose by himself if he wants or not the FS controller in normal view (which is working) AND in minimal view (which is not :/ )
Well, because this is too complex to implement I think. I can check, but I doubt.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”