Packaging Feature

Feature requests for VLC.
davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Packaging Feature

Postby davidhoyt » 02 Oct 2008 19:25

This is from another post of mine:
Actually, it would be immensely helpful if you guys (JVLC team or VLC team) could provide the plugins and vlc-control, etc., libraries for both win32 and linux distributions. Right now I get on the nightlies section of the site, download the intrepid build, and use dpkg to get them. We have to ship our application with everything it needs to run intact. IOW, it's not acceptable for us to tell the customer to run "sudo apt-get install <Tons of packages here>" - it all has to come w/ the program. You guys do the windows releases that way - why not provide the same option for the linux side? (I know apt-get is much handier, but how much harder is it to extend what you do for the windows side to the linux side?)

If you're thinking, "just compile it yourself and move the binaries yourself, " then consider this...It's difficult for me to stay up to date using git and compiling it myself b/c the company I work for has the port Git uses firewalled and they won't open it up (I've tried). I would use the http git mirror (and I have), but the problem is that the other projects (e.g. x264) don't use it! And the mirror isn't always as up-to-date as the standard git repository is. So there are times where it won't compile. So to avoid the whole fiasco (I wasted a lot of time trying to do it right), I just download the pre-built binaries. I'm sure git offers lots of geek-intrigue, but subversion was so much easier for me and I think just about everyone else and it got through the firewall just fine...if there's a place to vote for you guys to move back to subversion, count me in. But I know on the website it says to not ask about moving back to subversion because it isn't going to happen...sigh...

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: Packaging Feature

Postby The DJ » 03 Oct 2008 14:59

In our opinion that would not be in line with the idea of the linux evolutionary development model.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”