Record Button, .nsv files, default browser.....

Feature requests for VLC.
seboyd2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: latest
Operating System: winXP

Record Button, .nsv files, default browser.....

Postby seboyd2000 » 27 Dec 2003 07:54

VideoLan's a great media player, I hope you add .nsv(nullsoft) .ram(real) .wmv(window) files in the future. I know FFmpeg wont allow the last 2 yet... Also I've searched but can't find anywhere to set VideoLan as my Default Player. Other well known players want to download the file before opening it for play, where as Videolan will play it immediately, but VideoLan has to be selected as the Default Player to do this... Also a RECORD button on the button panel would be nice (linked to the "Stream Output>Output Methods>File box") We could imput the data needed in the "STREAM Output>Output Methods" section (File, File Name, Location) and then just hit the record button on the player interface whenever we want to record a stream. Of course the information we had imput would need to remain there in place unless we uncheck the "FILE" box. and of course any file recorded would be overwritten the second time, unless file name was changed. Just a thought....

Dnumgis

Postby Dnumgis » 28 Dec 2003 17:17

VideoLan's a great media player
Thanks, this is cool to hear.
I hope you add .nsv(nullsoft) .ram(real) .wmv(window) files in the future.
All these are container formats, and can hold different codecs. VLC does support .wmv, but not all codecs that can be inside it (in particular, it does not support the windows media 9 video codec). VLC does not support the two first, but it does support some (but not all) of the codecs they can hold. I've heard a rumor about someone working on support for the "real" container format.
I know FFmpeg wont allow the last 2 yet...
As far as I know FFmpeg support both the last 2, but not the first. But vlc do not use ffmpeg for container formats, only codecs, so this is not important.

As for the default player I don't really know. The record button have been requested by several others, so it should perhaps be considered.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”