Please -- display pixel dimensions in status bar?

Feature requests for VLC.
marklnp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Please -- display pixel dimensions in status bar?

Postby marklnp » 05 Dec 2007 00:19

I would hope this would be really easy to implement. I'd like to see the pixel dimensions of the video, displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, down there with the time/duration, speed, and filename boxes. A simple "1280x1024" or "640x480" is all I need. I would think those of us who make video images in a variety of sizes would often need to know at a glance what's playing.

Right now, the only way I know to easily display whatever size any video picture happens to be is to load it into Windows Media Player and select File->Properties. (Unless someone can recommend an easier way or utility? Maybe a right-click in Windows Explorer to show the dimensions in the context menu?)

Since VLC already knows the dimensions of the file it's playing, I would think it could be simple to implement a display of those dimensions.

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Please -- display pixel dimensions in status bar?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Dec 2007 05:11

I don't want to have it in the main interface, but Ctrl + I will display it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 05 Dec 2007 23:24

There's also a program called MediaInfo, which lets you see this and other properties of the file.

marklnp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby marklnp » 29 Jan 2008 18:56

Thank you for the reply j-b.

Sorry to report that your advice does not seem to be correct, in Win0.8.6d. Nowhere in the three tabs in the Stream and Media Info dialog that pops up with a Ctrl-I do I see the pixel dimensions of the video displayed. Tons of other info, not the height x width.

So, my request still stands. Ideally, when the movie is playing, it would show in the status bar at the bottom, without having to hit a keystroke combo to reveal a dialog. There's already a little box that always says x1.00. Maybe it could appear next to that -- or a user-selectable preference that shows or hides the pixel dimensions.

>> Mark

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”