advertisement blocking

Feature requests for VLC.
interger4bytes
New Cone
New Cone

advertisement blocking

Postby interger4bytes » 13 Aug 2007 19:56

Hello,

I am getting tired of seeing advertisements in streaming media. Streams that were once totally free are now becoming clogged with looping video elements that are often advertisements. I am not exactly sure how they accomplish it, but it is almost always on streams that force HTTP. They are somehow using HTTP 8080 to redirect to new stream that are ads. As an example I watch a streaming podcast that has ads built in. It redirects me to a looping video every 5 minutes, and returns to the original stream a few minutes later. The original stream is still running but I cannot see it for a few minutes. I know it is still running because when the streams come back to the original it often breaks back in the middle of a conversation that I missed hearing.

I am not talking about an activex control or webpage content either. I am not viewing the streams in a wepage so there is no HTML involved. I am running a direct link to the stream, and am not even using an asx file. I am going straight in, and am still seeing ads looped with VLC.

The last one I saw that did this was using mp1v video and mpga audio, mpeg ps demux. That was one of the more unusual ones I have seen. Most of the time it is WMV/WMA 9/10.

Ads are something that I expect to see using the Microsfoft media player, but not VLC. I have come to respect VLC as a program that doesn't conform to the big corporate Microsoft. I am disappointed to see that you allow this type of content to work in VLC as well.

I would really like to see VLC give me the ability to force the selection of streams that are being redirected by HTTP and any other methods that might exist. There is a time and place for advertisements, and streaming media is not one of them. It is downright annoying.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Re: advertisement blocking

Postby DGMurdockIII » 14 Aug 2007 04:58

this would be cool to see if it can be done

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”