not adding more and more options ...

Feature requests for VLC.
klumy
Cone that earned his stripes

not adding more and more options ...

Postby klumy » 20 Aug 2006 17:19

I think instead of adding more and more options, it would be better to remove really unnecessary options.

So the whole options dialog will be cleaner.
Even the NON-Advanced optionsmenu has too much options :roll:

But at the moment I don't know which options could be removed... has somebody of you some suggestions?
Windows 7

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 21 Aug 2006 23:17

Maybe they should put a search button in the preferences window, it's a pain to look for options.

klumy

Postby klumy » 23 Aug 2006 22:35

something like this.
Following options menu has also a lot of options, but it is organized in a more clean way

Windows 7

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 23 Aug 2006 23:24

Unfortunately, VLC is much more dynamic in it's structure. Example. Remove a module from VLCs module menu, and it's options will no longer show in VLCs preferences.

The system is highly flexible, but arguably less understandable. This is one of it's strengths. If VLC was like every other player out there, there would be no reason anymore to have it at all.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 25 Aug 2006 17:55

On a side note: we are considering adding a "Simple prefs" dialog in the upcoming Qt interface (with only 20 or so settings displayed in a user friendly way)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 20 Nov 2006 22:08

that cool

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: not adding more and more options ...

Postby MadlyMad » 13 Jul 2007 19:32

This is the only topic i found out on this subject, appologize if there is a bigger one

is this Qt interface with "Simple Prefs" is the famous Qt4 which should be in VLC 0.9.0, right ??

for now I really agree with klumy,
preferences should really be much much more simple, there is so much useless options in there (the kind of feature you might be interest in, once somewhere in the next 10 years)

and I fear the "simple prefs" you talk about would be too much simple, a kind of WinXP playschool lookalike :?

the aim is not to make this simple for noobs, but simple for normal users and quite experienced users

for now if your looking for a specific option you almost have to unfold every trees
for example for a subtitle option it's quite unintelligible, you found out 5 or more options that should fit what you're looking for, but find out which one will really works for what you want to do

I would really be very glad to help you to clean up thoses preferences, there is a big work on this and it's still very usefull to have an external look
I understand how hard it can be to pull out an option you intentionally coded, that's why an external opinion is not useless

improving the preferences clearness will help a lot to make people interest in VLC, especially other software users, but VLC users too

Hope I'll be able to help you on this,
thanks by advance

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 14 Jul 2007 03:09

Have you tried a nightly build? Maybe you'll find that the options for "simple" preferences are cleaned up a bit. :)

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MadlyMad » 15 Jul 2007 14:15

I'll give it a try very quickly, thanks =)

while hoping they'll become real build soon or later :mrgreen:
possible feedback/opinion from me just after looking at this

:wink:

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”