Individual icons for the different file types

Feature requests for VLC.
Regenerate
New Cone
New Cone

Individual icons for the different file types

Postby Regenerate » 13 Aug 2006 00:52

Hello,

I think that individual icons for every (or the most used) file types would be great.

The icons should contain the vlc-logo and the letters of the file extensions.

krmathis
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby krmathis » 13 Aug 2006 01:22

VLC already include icons for the most used file types. :roll:

Regenerate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Regenerate » 13 Aug 2006 01:39

Really? If I associate a file with it, I only see the standard vlc icon.
Do I have to enable an extra option to use the icons?

krmathis

Postby krmathis » 13 Aug 2006 07:00

Strange. Cause it works just fine here.
Ex. associate MPEG files to VLC and the icon change to MPEG one.

Perhaps you could start by telling us which OS you use? (Mac OS X, GNU/Linux or MS Windows)

Regenerate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Regenerate » 13 Aug 2006 11:50

Windows

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2006 15:34

I am quite sure that there is only one icon for Windows builds. If someone wants to create Windows icons or copy those Mac ones to Windows format, it should work (and add them to installer and to file associations).

Ozelotl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ozelotl » 21 Oct 2006 22:14

Yes, he must be talking about Windows...
Since the Graphical User Interface of all Windows-Versions are --please stay polite--, it would be nice if VLC would help the user like WinAmp does. Bring some additional Icons with it, let the user choose a set and do the replacing for him.

No, I do not know how complicated this is, but I am aware of the fact that most "deep --please stay polite-- programs" like wmp, realplayer, quicktime, powerdvd, etc, mess up the icon-settings. So thinking of lusers who must have all of these super cool programs installed at the same time, maybe it`s not worth the work.

I do use Windows XP. But I designed myself a special install-CD from the original one using nLite, so i did not install WMP, and all the other useless stuff. Further I use mpc with qt and real alternative. So on my systems no other program would mess up the icon-settings of VLC, and thus I would like such an option.

If you implement it, I promise, I will never bother you with question á la "WMP keeps changing the icons, I adjust with vlc, what should I do?", because I do not have such programs installed. And you know, because I do not plan on buying Vista, some new icons would be nice. In fact I could contribute with some of my own icons. If you like.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”