CCCP and VLC (another post about subtitles)

Feature requests for VLC.
macuser

CCCP and VLC (another post about subtitles)

Postby macuser » 20 Jun 2006 23:48

Hello, I am a Mac user. It is annoying that on this platform we currently do not have a way of viewing subtitles in all their formatted glory such as in the releases of anime fansub groups.

Is it at all possible to include in VLC whatever it is that allows the CCCP to render the formatted subtitles properly? Or is this something to do with all that directx stuff and OS dependent?

Sorry if this is a rubbish idea. :?

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2006 17:51

Use mplayer if you really need neat subtitles, it can use vsfilter.

macuser

Postby macuser » 21 Jun 2006 22:28

Thanks, I suppose I would have to compile MPlayer with the vsfilter then?

Will this compile on OSX? And does it need DirectShow to render the subs properly? because that is Windows only I think.

I would also need instructions on how to compile it if it would work because I am a big noob.

Postby Guest » 22 Jun 2006 19:50

You can get help from mplayer home page and forum or mailinglist or IRC.
You should first try Mac OS X preview release binaries if those work.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 24 Jun 2006 15:35

VLC should work fine. (you might need to set the subtitles encoding in the prefs)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 14 Sep 2006 17:14

i thnk cccp is one of the best codec pack out there

Discerptor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Discerptor » 05 Oct 2006 17:16

Thanks, I suppose I would have to compile MPlayer with the vsfilter then?

Will this compile on OSX? And does it need DirectShow to render the subs properly? because that is Windows only I think.

I would also need instructions on how to compile it if it would work because I am a big noob.
A great guide to compiling MPlayer to work with formatted subtitles was made by a member on the AnimeSuki forums here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... 445&page=2

It's the fourth post on that page (You have to click "Show"). Be sure to pay attention to which parts are Intel Mac-specific (I believe Intel mac owners have to do build one extra thing and have one line changed somewhere). Also, ignore the part about downloading/installing the ASS/SSA patch. That's an automatic part of MPlayer's recent CVS builds. You'll be very pleased once you complete the process, since (do-it-yourself) MPlayer is the only OS X media player that does softsubs properly. VLC doesn't seem to be able to detect font settings formatted into softsub tracks, and it also gets confused when there's more than one line of text that's supposed to be displayed.

garylisk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby garylisk » 28 Nov 2006 05:04

VLC should work fine. (you might need to set the subtitles encoding in the prefs)
As of yet, I have found that subtitles look irreparably bad in VLC if the sub track has special formatting. Check out any of the releases of "Negima!?" - All the font and color formatting is lost to VLC's renderer.

Was looking around to see if there was any plans to update that to work with new subtitle formats. (And by new, I mean not really all that new at all. This type of formatting has been around for years now.)

I, for one, don't care much about the colors being lost, but the subs are practically unreadable in VLC when formatted to have colored outlines and such.

The subs look fine when rendered in a DirectShow player such as Zoom Player when using vsfilter. However, I nabbed VLC initially to avoid having all that stuff installed on my system, so now I just sigh and have to have it.

Discerptor
New Cone
New Cone

Re: CCCP and VLC (another post about subtitles)

Postby Discerptor » 28 Nov 2007 02:11

So I thought I'd revive this rather than make a new thread. Could VLC be made to properly support softsub-tracked video files with correct font/color display and all? MPlayer has managed it through use of the fontconfig library, and I figure it can't be that difficult to do something similar with VLC using an internalized library.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Nov 2007 10:18

yes. Next version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SeaFox
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.0.3
Operating System: WinXP x64

Postby SeaFox » 18 Jan 2008 00:10

I'd like to second this. Full support for SubStation Alpha format subs would be appreciated, or the ability to use VSFilter with VLC so it can render the subs instead.

SeaFox
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.0.3
Operating System: WinXP x64

Postby SeaFox » 06 Feb 2008 03:02

Yes, I'm aware of the guliverkli project. I'm actually using ZoomPlayer for subbed MKV's now since the subs are run by VSFilter, and I get more interface features than Media Player Classic. But I still prefer VLC as it's system resource use tends to be lower and video quality slightly better (plus I'd rather have one program that does it all anyway).

I tried one of the alpha builds of VLC 0.90 after my last post, but sub rendering was exactly the same. I can only assume the feature hasn't been implemented yet.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 29 Mar 2008 21:58

bump dont forget about this i would like to eventually like to see vlc have support for all types of subtitle formats

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”