Sasami GUI

Feature requests for VLC.
Earendil18
New Cone
New Cone

Sasami GUI

Postby Earendil18 » 26 Apr 2006 09:42

I love Sasami2k.

The GUI is non-existent, and only the video remains.

A direct, one-to-one link, between your occipital lobe and...the STREAM.

Unfortunately, Sasami 2k hasn't been updated since 2001, and with the some of the newer formats out today Sasami is beginning to really show its age. VLC is my next media player of choice because it has the nifty wallpaper playing capability, supports the latest and greatest, and has a wide array of post-processing capabilities and filters.

Would it be possible to create a version of VLC that had a menu/GUI system structured in a similar manner to Sasami?

For example, say I double click a video on my desktop, and this version of VLC, we'll call it "VLC Lite", starts to play the video.

*poing* (that's what it sounds like ;) )
There's the movie, except there's nothing but itself. Oh no! How do I work this? Where are the Stop, Play, Pause buttons? Not to worry, they're just hiding until you need them. Try putting your mouse near the lower part of the video.

*vmmm*
Ahh, a simple playback control panel fades/slides into view. (quickly, no WMP style)
The buttons are here:
<>[] > <- ->
The timeline follows close behind, with the current time, and total length displayed as well:
[------------------------Y------------------------------------------------]2:34/5:25

There's even a simple up/down volume control in the lower right, but it's not needed... since you can just scroll your mouse up/down.

The video is getting in the way of my internet browsing, but I'm a multitasker so I'm just going to take the corner of the video, resize it, and drag/snap it into a corner of my monitor. Now, I need to really get into the guts to make some changes, but where are those settings? My cursor is over the video stream...

Right click.

Lo! A cornucopia of geek delight! Video filters, audio Filters, filtergraphs, overlay mixers, DX compatiblity, etc. etc. etc.
Some accessible through the right click menu tree, some through a tabbed options screen (DxDiag style).

All of this, and still...

The simple black box floating on your screen, waiting to explode in a visual fury within the confines of it's (invisible) edge.

Anyhoo, there ends the drama, if you want to get a better idea of what I'm rattling about download the player for yourself and poke around.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/sasami_player.html

The main thing is just the removal of the GUI. No Windows border, nothing.

I was going to see if I could continue the Sasami project, but the guy who created it lives in Korea and has dropped off the face of the planet. I cannot find him, nor contact him regarding source code etc.

So I'm requesting "VLC Lite" :)

Kudos to all you devs. Considering what you've accomplished here it feels wrong to ask you guys for anything in the first place!

But these are my thoughts.

Yours?

radicaledward
New Cone
New Cone

Postby radicaledward » 14 Dec 2006 14:43

i second this idea. i loved how simple the interface was with sasami and it's the only feature i know some people STILL use this over VLC. if it could even be made just as a skin i'd thank that person forever.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Dec 2006 15:03

So it is a player with no GUI, just the main windows with the menu ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

radicaledward
New Cone
New Cone

Postby radicaledward » 14 Dec 2006 15:31

it's a chromeless video player, all the menu is available through the right click. and the stop/play/playhead appears if you put your mouse on the bottom of the video

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Dec 2006 15:52

The no-border windows is your configuration or the normal one ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

radicaledward
New Cone
New Cone

Postby radicaledward » 14 Dec 2006 16:05

that is the default interface. i don't think sasami has skinning abilities.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 26 Dec 2006 05:20

this is a good gui suggestion

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”