Staying in the right window

Feature requests for VLC.
eyrian

Staying in the right window

Postby eyrian » 13 Mar 2006 11:02

I have a dual monitor setup, in an nVidia dualview configuration. On windows XP professional x64 edition.

When I run VLC, I move it to a side monitor, and fullscreen the video. On my taskbar, I now see two VLC windows: "VLC Media Player" and "VLC (Hardware YUV overlay DirectX output)". If I click on the Media Player, I see a media player window that I can move around onto my other monitor, and adjust volume, set the video progress, etc. The other window is the actual video output. When a video ends and the player moves to the next entry in the playlist, the video starts on the same screen that the Media Player is on, not the same screen it was playing on before. This seems like undesireable behavior. I would prefer that the video continue running in the same window. This way, I can work with the volume and so forth on one screen, while letting video play on the other.

milns
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Staying in the right window

Postby milns » 01 May 2010 21:03

I cannot find any clear documentation for setting up the dual screen support permanently but you can set up VLC to run two screens with the controls on the first screen and the video on the second screen.
  • Open VLC then tools->Preferences
  • Select ALL at the bottom left
  • Select the Video section - (click on the Video icon)
  • Select FullScreen video output and deselect Embedded video
  • Open the Video section list (click on the arrow the left of the Video icon
  • Open the Output modulessection list
  • Select Directx
  • On the right box in the main part select the drop down list and select \\.\DISPLAY2
  • Click on Save
  • Close VLC and restart to activate the changes
Maybe VideoLan can add this as a HowTo as many have a dual screen setup

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Staying in the right window

Postby VLC_help » 02 May 2010 15:57

Please, don't wake up OLD threads. I can add this to Wiki, if you tell me good name for the page I will use for it.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”