Wacthing and listening to 360 video with Ambisonics

Feature requests for VLC.
jtibau
New Cone
New Cone

Wacthing and listening to 360 video with Ambisonics

Postby jtibau » 06 Feb 2018 19:32

Hi,

VLC 3.0-git seems to have some initial implementation of 360 video and it also seems like ambisonics is on the cards for the near future.

I assume that when the implementation is finished we'll have VLC do some HRTF transform and rotate the audio as well as the video. Currently however, it seems to be ignoring the 2 out of the 4 ambisonics b-format channels. I don't know if there's an attempt at rotation yet.

Can anyone help me figure out if there's some easy way to force it to pass through the 4 channels in the video? I'm currently using MacOS and soundflower to, hopefully, get the B-format to MAX MSP and then run the HRTF transform. That still leaves open the question of the rotation/panning to make sure that the audio is pointing to the same place that the video is.

Javier

jtibau
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Wacthing and listening to 360 video with Ambisonics

Postby jtibau » 10 Feb 2018 14:47

Now that 3.0 has been released I'm happy to say that VLC passes through the 4 ambisonics channels. I don't think however, that it is doing the point-of-view rotation of the audio escape. I'm afraid that by "original", what shows up in the menu, it really means unadultered audio feed. Which is interesting but leaves us with spatially-unsynchronized AV.

Any tips?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jun 2018 23:02

Now that 3.0 has been released I'm happy to say that VLC passes through the 4 ambisonics channels. I don't think however, that it is doing the point-of-view rotation of the audio escape. I'm afraid that by "original", what shows up in the menu, it really means unadultered audio feed. Which is interesting but leaves us with spatially-unsynchronized AV.

Any tips?

It does, if the file is correctly tagged.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

bossesand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bossesand » 06 Nov 2020 12:03

I have created an open HW + source code  for a headtracker that broadcasts OSC messages over a local wifi network.
https://github.com/bossesand/OHTI-HT-osc-wifi

Is there a plugin or interface in VLC 3 that can support a headtracker for viewpoint change on a stationary computers running windows or OSX?
Can a vst for like IEM SpaceRotator ambisonics rotation be included in the playback chain?
Or is there any known way to control the viewpoint from an external sensor instead of the local sensor on Android or swipes/mouse movements.

I cannot find any documentation on headtracker use.

I cannot not find anything in VLC Forum
Best RegardsBo-Erik Sandholm
Stockholm

neosettler
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby neosettler » 01 Aug 2021 23:05

Is there any update on viewpoint changes and/or 3D specialization audio channels?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”