Snapshot name - playtime in stead of timestamp

Feature requests for VLC.
Blingzer
New Cone
New Cone

Snapshot name - playtime in stead of timestamp

Postby Blingzer » 09 Nov 2016 12:05

Could you change the filename of snapshots to be the time of the frame within the video rather than the date and time at which the snapshot is taken? Or maybe append this info? Or make filenaming changeable within preferences?

Thanks for your consideration.

KnightMist
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Snapshot name - playtime in stead of timestamp

Postby KnightMist » 21 Aug 2017 03:04

Windows 10 Pro x64, VideoLAN 2.2.6. I get error in snapshot filename. I can use the timestamp settings, but oddly they use the save time to the nearest ms, and for the life of me I can't figure why I care about the time I saved the file to the ms. BUT I DO want the time in the video as accurately as possible. I am trying to save snapshots of a video where there is a lot happening in the 45 seconds, and I'd like to know the place where I saved the snapshot as accurately as reasonable (ms?). I don't know what the time resolution of the video is (a MOV file), but it's nowhere near 1000 frames/sec.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 20 Nov 2017 01:00

ticket 19118 has been filed. When someone get around to it it will be added.

daffdaemon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby daffdaemon » 13 Mar 2018 21:02

I just came to the forum looking for a solution to this issue.
I've looked at the ticket and see this has been sitting for 4 months & was first suggested a year and a half ago.
I agree, this may not be a bug, but it does come very close.
Timestamp based on system time is near useless.
Just wanted to add my comment, hoping it will encourage movement on this issue; although, I realize, may not be a commonly used feature of the program.
I am not a programmer, but seems a simple fix.

clamage45
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clamage45 » 29 May 2018 08:46

Me too. :-) But I would also like the default to include the video file name, instead of the useless vlcsnap. Or add a check box to use the video file name in the snapshot file name.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 17 Jun 2018 22:02

It's really a matter of when someone comes around to it. It's certainly not one of the harder bugs or features, but any change has to go though a lot of testing, a lot of overhead with changes and discussion to make sure noone gets an unpleasant suprise.. it always takes time.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”