Reinstate mixed mono option (in Audio device or Stereo mode)

Feature requests for VLC.
NetWhisper
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NetWhisper » 28 Dec 2014 09:08

Still I didn't get if such drawback is due to Windows evolution in handling soundcards (XP ... 8), or VLC own development... or a combination of both... but I clearly recall that I could easily switch to mono mode (mixed left+right) by going through the menu Audio > Audio device, and from there toggle between Stereo and Mono (the only two choices). Now, the same menu behaves differently, listing devices by their names.

The workaround of temporarily modifying system's audio settings (back and forth), relaying on some hardware capabilities (which, unfortunately, are not always available), is becoming quite annoying.

Alternatively, please consider adding to the other menu, Audio > Stereo mode, an additional "Mono (Left + Right)" option, possibly linked to a new specific audio filter (to be included).

8lackie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 8lackie » 29 Jan 2015 06:44

I'd second this idea. I don't find many people who are interested. My interest is I've only hearing in one ear. I need everything to go to one side. Perhaps I should try left or right channel and see if this works? Perhaps this would solve my problem. I did like mono in previous versions. Thank you.

Pejii
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Reinstate mixed mono option (in Audio device or Stereo mode)

Postby Pejii » 02 Mar 2015 16:37

I have just registered to ask for the same thing.

I have hearing problem on left side and the mono mode was the best thing VLC was offering for me, currently using older version and disabled update but I would love to use the newer versions with the mono mode feature.

Please add mono mode again in the next versions.

Zaaphod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zaaphod » 02 Mar 2015 18:08

I'll be a 4th to this suggestion, listening to either left or right is not the same as combined left+right mono. It's pretty clear from just this thread alone that people with hearing impairments would prefer an easy option to get to true left+right mono, and the best place to put this option is in audio>stereo mode where one already finds stereo, left, right, and reverse stereo, it would be very simple to include true mono there. It's a shame when so-called 'upgrades' end up leaving out features that older versions used to include.

alank
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alank » 13 Mar 2015 13:30

Ok there has been a partial fix to this problem in Nightly Fix file 'vlc-2.2.0-20150313-0202/ 2015-03-13 02:45' (this loads as v2.2.1) however I have found a further problem.

When the audio file is stereo you can change the settings in Stereo Mode ok but when the audio file is mono the Stereo Mode selection should be 'greyed out' i.e. not available. Currently, Stereo Mode selection, is still available with a mono file and any attempt to switch from the default setting of stereo will crash VLC.

I have rolled back to vlc-2.1.5 and found it to be ok with all Stereo Mode functions in stereo or mono files.

Cheers, Al.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 18 Jul 2017 23:23

I have given my best effort to translate all of the requests and suggestions in this topic to a single feature request the developers can work with (hopefully). I hope it covers everyones wishes, or atleast most of your wishes.

For anyone coming back to this topic, please check on this ticket to see if your feature is already underway.
ticket 18559

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Jan 2018 10:02

3.0 should work for you.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Azrael5
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Azrael5 » 19 Mar 2018 17:56

The same problem on 2.2.6 release used on Kubuntu 17.10

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jun 2018 22:51

The same problem on 2.2.6 release used on Kubuntu 17.10

As I said, use 3.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”