Playlist with relative paths, again

Feature requests for VLC.
kylescousin
New Cone
New Cone

Playlist with relative paths, again

Postby kylescousin » 29 Apr 2014 17:24

Can you PLEASE PLEASE add this feature? Just a setting!

I just moved around 100 playlist to a NAS drive and now I need to manually edit all of them because the paths are absolute paths!
If we could just save playlists with the filename only or a path relative to the location of the playlist itself, it would make the playlist and their content portable to other drives.

VLC can already READ from relative paths . If I remove the absolute paths from the playlist file and store just the filename itself instead, VLC plays it fine. There is just no way to save a playlist this way.
If you have tons of playlist to copy, this is a huge problem.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Playlist with relative paths, again

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 May 2014 18:53

Read or Export?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SethP
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows (10)

Postby SethP » 28 Feb 2016 17:19

I can't really understand why the feature has not been implemented a looooong time ago?

As it is, and probably always has been, you must edit the playlist file with a text editor (like Notepad++) in order to move a folder containing the playlist and the files and have it work as intended. But can it be that hard to make it a choice when saving a playlist in the application itself?
Read or Export?
If I delete the absolute path myself in a text editor the VLC Media Player has no problem at all reading the playlist (even if moved). So it should be an option when creating them, and that is the request as I understand it from other, and older, threads as well.

Whisker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Whisker » 19 Mar 2016 15:28

Okay, it's not really a key feature, but a bit more of configurability when saving a playlist would be REALLY nice.
I'm doing this by hand via Notepad++ for years now, and while it's not that much extra work, it's always a bit tedious to do the same things over and over again:
  1. Saving the Playlist in VLC,
  2. opening it in Np++,
  3. removing the part of the path I don't want with the search & replace dialog,
  4. and saving the list again.
A checkbox option like "use relative paths" would really save a lot of repetitive work there.

Lucario
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lucario » 23 Mar 2016 05:17

I've created my own batch file long time ago for that reason. I just have to drag'n'drop selected video onto the batch file and it will write relative path to each video files to the newly created playlist file.

Code: Select all

@echo off for %%* in (.) do set dir=%%~n* echo MPCPLAYLIST>"%dir%.mpcpl" set n=1 :loop for %%* in (%1) do set file=%%~n* for %%* in (%1) do set ext=%%~x* echo %n%,type,>>"%dir%.mpcpl" echo %n%,filename,%file%%ext%>>"%dir%.mpcpl" shift set /a n+=1 if not [%1]==[] goto loop

IndioB
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.2.2
Operating System: Windows

Postby IndioB » 25 Mar 2016 16:27

I used virtual disk VHDX in Windows 8 or 10.
That allows me to always take the same path on any computer for music or video collection.
This is becose i used "Calibre" for index files, and if i shared this collection's, I just have to indicate which letter was loading the disc.
Indio, from the Mediterranean Sea.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”