Kingston Mobilelite Support (source code supplied)

Feature requests for VLC.
djbuddha
New Cone
New Cone

Kingston Mobilelite Support (source code supplied)

Postby djbuddha » 20 Apr 2014 00:04

So I picked up this Kingston MobileLite wireless SD card and USB reader. It's actually quite nice. It allows through their app to access the content of the USB keys and SD cards via a Wi-Fi connection. The device even includes a stripped down router so you can regain internet access to your iOS device (by logging into a nearby Wi-Fi connection via the iOS app or via its web interface).

The drawback of the device however is that it is restricted to only playing formats that are native to iOS (so no xvid, mkv etc). On Kingston's website, they actually provide source code for free for the device (copyrighted under the GNU Public License Version 2) I'm wondering if using the provided source code, if there's a way to implement support in VLC to read content from the inserted USB drives or SD cards.

This way you could simply copy an mkv to the USB drive and play it natively in VLC. This is a huge limitation removal for those with iOS devices and I think it would be a worthwhile submission.

Here's a link to the source code:

http://www.kingston.com/us/support/tech ... 0_v1-1-0-0

Any input on this idea would be great! Before anybody asks btw, the device does NOT require the app to access the content. You can easily access the device via its default IP address in any browser and the content shows up, which makes this idea somewhat feasible. It just requires that the iOS device be connected to it via Wi-Fi.

EDIT: NEVERMIND! Afer toying with the MobileLite, it natively just showed up as a uPNP device and I can browse it natively in VLC!! Media plays perfectly. Now THIS is amazing!

To the creators of VLC. Keep up the good fight. Thanks for opening the doors to more media options on all of our respective platforms!

Cheers!

kryten2b
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Kingston Mobilelite Support (source code supplied)

Postby kryten2b » 23 May 2014 14:55

Hi, you mentioned MKV's

Have you been able to get VLC to find/play MKV's from the Mobilelite?

I have just bought one & eventually got it to connect, but it won't list any MKV on the drive, let alone play it :cry:

Thanks

djbuddha
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djbuddha » 23 May 2014 18:48

I bought nPlayer. I search the drive as an SMB share. It's perfect. You can play MKVs straight from the mobilelite. Best $5 I ever spent. It's also MUCH faster at accessing the drive.

i3laze
New Cone
New Cone

Postby i3laze » 19 Mar 2015 11:12

+1 for SMB support.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”