I-frame seeking

Feature requests for VLC.
maitrepiet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

I-frame seeking

Postby maitrepiet » 16 Aug 2013 18:18

Hi,
I need to seek to a given position in a h264 encoded video file. The problem is that this results in very bad image quality for several seconds. I'm using libvlc 2.08 32 bit on Windows 7.
My whole system relies on jumping back and forward in videos, so I'm desperately hoping for this solution.
If I understand it correctly, the problem is that vlc seek() jumps directly to the frame that is requested by the seek() command. Since in mpeg4 information from the previous frames is needed to reconstruct the current frame this results in a lot of artifacts.
The solution could be to first seek the I-frame before the requested frame, then decode( internally without displaying) all the intermediate frames until the requested frame is reached. From that point onwards, normal decoding can continue.

I think it is possible to do, because ffplay does the job nicely, and if I'm informed correctly, both ffplay and vlc use the same base library ffmpeg.

Is there any chance this will be solved in the near future? Or are there settings I can use to avoid this?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”