Feature requests for VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 May 2007 11:28

I agree.
Either we take the one that altglass did without the writing, which is simple and clear enough, or we take the same one with the other cone (which I found nice) only if we have the rights to do so.

Doing another one, is just useless.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 14 May 2007 18:39

Alright, so I can't find out how to get in contact with the I-Cone designer. :( So I guess (no offense) we'll stick with the one aLtgLasS made. :cry: :P As for my posting of yet another I-CONE, the one in the url was the real idea. :P anyway, I guess I'll leave you guys to cone-template on the I-Cone album art thing. :) I'll just get back to posting some of my crazy ideas now that I have a little more time. 8)

Keeping up the third person isn't so easy when you have a name with more then 5 digits and it goes between upper and lower case. 8)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 May 2007 22:26

Alright, so I can't find out how to get in contact with the I-Cone designer. :( So I guess (no offense) we'll stick with the one aLtgLasS made. :cry: :P As for my posting of yet another I-CONE, the one in the url was the real idea. :P anyway, I guess I'll leave you guys to cone-template on the I-Cone album art thing. :) I'll just get back to posting some of my crazy ideas now that I have a little more time. 8)

Keeping up the third person isn't so easy when you have a name with more then 5 digits and it goes between upper and lower case. 8)
You can join him ! Do it !
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 20 May 2007 12:08

Since CloudStalker already put this together CloudStalker might as well post it:

Trust me, I've been trying to get in contact with the I-CONE designer so that we can use this cone, but to no avail. :( Anyone want to help me find a guy named "weboso" (the designer)? :)

I forgot exactly where I got the CD icon from, it's just a standard CD right? I did add some contrast and saturation but that's all.

I'm going to update some more ideas later today. Sorry it took me so long to update this thread. BTW, isn't that a sweet looking setup?!?! :D

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 20 May 2007 13:18

To comic-like and childish for me :P
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 May 2007 14:11

Same for me, too childish, and I did contact the guy. And he had answered me. News later.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 20 May 2007 18:04

To comic-like and childish for me :P
Same for me, too childish,
Thanks you guys. :| It's probably just the background isn't it. I was talking about the four RocketDocks and the shiny CD/VLC I-CONE too. :P Anywho.... :roll:
and I did contact the guy. And he had answered me. News later.
I don't know how you did it j-b but I've been trying for almost a week and got nothing. Did you translate his website or something? well anyway that's good to hear. :)

d_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d_a » 20 May 2007 22:09

Yeah, that's great, I got to test it out yesterday. :D In connection with this I do have another request:

[#15] Auto-load VLC On System Startup

I had made a thread awhile back asking if VLC can be made to automatically start when Windows, or any OS, starts and along with media library it will automatically start playing item in the playlist (only on OS startup). Now that Qt4 can be accessed via the system tray the option to automatically hide the interface can also be use in with all of the above:

• Automatically load VLC on OS startup
  • Automatically play items in playlist (only on OS startup)
  • Automatically hide interface in system tray
So every time my OS starts up there will be music playing in random order and I won't even have to touch VLC. Is this possible to do? Thanks again. :D
Rejected.
This is not VLC's role to do that but your OS.
Except the last part "automatically hide interface in system tray"
That's why I would suggest making it into a option in the preferences menu. I've seen so many other programs that have an option to make it auto-start upon Windows startup, I was hoping VLC could also do this with a couple more options, but it appears that's not going to happen.
No. You have to do it yourself. Come on...

making a software start up by itself is intruding in the OS. If you want, just put a link to VLC in your Start folder, or in msconfig. That is NOT VLC job.

However, we can add an option to make it start minimized.
However, we can add an option to make it start minimized.
OK then, that would be nice. :)

I have some more requests, with screenshots, and I'll post this in a little while. :)
Done too.
Hello, this is my first post here. Today I was setting my Preferences with VLC player and this option to 'Automatically hide interface at start up' or 'Start VLC player minimized' is just the option I am looking for. j-b, you say "Done too." meaning you have added this option, am I right?

My question is, under what version is or has this option been added to? Is it in the current new v.0.8.6b version release or in an up-and-coming release, like the v.0.9.0-svn version of VLC player. I currently have the v.0.8.6a version. Thank you in advance j-b.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 20 May 2007 22:12

Hello, this is my first post here. Today I was setting my Preferences with VLC player and this option to 'Automatically hide interface at start up' or 'Start VLC player minimized' is just the option I am looking for. j-b, you say "Done too." meaning you have added this option, am I right?

My question is, under what version is or has this option been added to? Is it in the current new v.0.8.6b version release or in an up-and-coming release, like the v.0.9.0-svn version of VLC player. I currently have the v.0.8.6a version. Thank you in advance j-b.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting. :)

This option is probably only going to be for the upcoming version of VLC 0.9.0. I'm using the latest nightly build and I don't see this in there just yet, so maybe he'll :twisted: (he will :P) add this later on. You can try out the nightly builds if you want: VLC Nighties.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 20 May 2007 22:26

Alright everyone, I made the ultimate update to the following (I like the setup alright! :D :D :D):

[#10] Interface Houdini (Disappear Until Mouse-Over) + Window Decorations + Effects

I think I should post a 56k warning since the images are kinda large.

More ideas on the way. 8)

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 21 May 2007 06:13

[#6] Basic Controls / Mini Interface [Task Bar]
Will never be done because too tide with Windows Versions. But the taskbar icon can be improved for 0.9.0.
CloudStalker was hoping to have this feature implemented but your comment forced CloudStalker to rethink this and he came up with yet another crazy idea, so crazy it might even work! :D

[#19] Basic Controls Down to a Docklet

Forget about the task bar, docklets are an even better idea! :D With this you'll be able to easily access the Play/Pause, Stop, Previous and Next buttons (much like the system tray) and when you mouse-over the VLC docklet it will display the Artist, title and VLC name just like it does on the top-left corner of the window border.

I did some editing and I came up with this:

VLC Docklet:

VLC Docklet in RocketDock:

When the user moves the mouse over the VLC docklet the they can access the the Play/Pause, Stop, Previous an next buttons, which will be linked to the VLC commands and also the name will appear like it does on the window border of VLC. Oh yeah I almost forgot, is it possible to make so that when the user right-clicks on the VLC docklet it will display the same type of menu it does with the system tray icon? With this at least the user will be able to hide the interface and make it visible again.

Here's what it will look like when the user moves the mouse over the VLC docklet:

Active buttons / Display name:

I've seen some widgets and docklets that have been used in this way for other media players, so why not VLC media player. :D It's also OS friendly since ObjectDock, RocketDock and other similar docks will run on Windows, Mac and Linux (I think :?)

So what do you think? Would it be too difficult to make this or add support for this? 8)

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 21 May 2007 08:03

the childish was not only because of the background, it's also due to your dock icons.

On topic again, I think the Interface Houdini is in the way you supposed it far to complicated. For me it would first of all be enough if the interface can be blended into the fullscreen mode if you move your mouse.

Docklet why not, but Docklets are separate "programs", I don't think the VLC Programmers would do that, and one docklet is not comaptible with all docks, you had to write one for each single dock, exept for rocketdock, it uses ObjectDock docklets.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 May 2007 08:11

Once again, I am not going to develop anything special for one program (ObjectDock, here) nor one OS, if it really differs a lot from others.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 21 May 2007 15:44

the childish was not only because of the background, it's also due to your dock icons.
Hey there's no need to be jealous, I'll tell you where I found them. :roll: :P
On topic again, I think the Interface Houdini is in the way you supposed it far to complicated. For me it would first of all be enough if the interface can be blended into the fullscreen mode if you move your mouse.

Like I said I was just spitting out ideas here; not all of them need to be implemented the same exact way I described them, although if it's a possibility to add something similar then that would be great. 8)
Docklet why not, but Docklets are separate "programs", I don't think the VLC Programmers would do that, and one docklet is not comaptible with all docks, you had to write one for each single dock, exept for rocketdock, it uses ObjectDock docklets.
Once again, I am not going to develop anything special for one program (ObjectDock, here) nor one OS, if it really differs a lot from others.
:D

Sorry. Maybe I should have worded things a little differently. What I meant to ask in all of that was: would some sort of special support be needed from VLC for others to create docklets. I don't know if others can create docklets for VLC and they'll just work, so I thought maybe there needed to be some sort of...I don't know, documentation or something so that these functions can be called from VLC to a docklet (Play/Pause, Stop, Previous, Next). :D Of course you don't have to create these things yourself, you're far too busy with all my other requests, right? :lol:

That was a joke, :| a poor one at that.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 21 May 2007 16:32

don't know if others can create docklets for VLC and they'll just work, so I thought maybe there needed to be some sort of...I don't know, documentation or something so that these functions can be called from VLC to a docklet (Play/Pause, Stop, Previous, Next).
I think that is already possible, but I'm not sure.
Hey there's no need to be jealous, I'll tell you where I found them. Rolling Eyes Razz
The icons I use are far cooler :P

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 21 May 2007 19:57

The icons I use are far cooler :P
Snores. 8)

You want some good icons? Check out these: GUIChamps
More?: Best-Skins

I run multiple desktops all with different icons and backgrounds, though this "Cartoony" look is the one I prefer at the moment. :P

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 22 May 2007 19:18

Hey j-b, do you know the "Go to specific Time" tab that's in the tools menu? Someone once suggested maybe having a stop time included with it. I was wondering if you could possible make it work with the "Repeat one" function as well so that lets say there's a 6 minute song and you go to the time of 0:03:30, when the "Repeat one" function is on and it gets to the end of the song, or to the stop time, it will restart at the 0:03:30 time that you've set instead of at the beginning of the song. Maybe? Possibly? :)

Oh and just for the fun of it I changed this up a bit: :P

Start time/Stop time:

Hey I just realized that if this works it will be kinda like the A-B repeat feature we've been asking for, although not as good and easy to use.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 May 2007 20:10

Well, the stop-time is not perfectly functionnable in VLC, so I would prefer not to do that. :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

d_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby d_a » 23 May 2007 05:44

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting. :)

This option is probably only going to be for the upcoming version of VLC 0.9.0. I'm using the latest nightly build and I don't see this in there just yet, so maybe he'll :twisted: (he will :P) add this later on. You can try out the nightly builds if you want: VLC Nighties.
Thank you CloudStalker for the information. I sure hope the upcoming verison of VLC, v.0.9.0 will have the "Start player minimized" option. And thank you as well for the VLC Nighties link, and take care. -bye

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 May 2007 16:46

vlc_fan-01
[#20] ALBUM ART - VLC should display extra metadata from audio

Well my point has been made clear, this would be nice to view in VLC
Yup. :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 May 2007 16:52

vlc_fan-01
[#20] ALBUM ART - VLC should display extra metadata from audio

Well my point has been made clear, this would be nice to view in VLC
Yup. :)
I don't see what that means and what is not implemented ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 May 2007 17:12

Let me see if I understand it. If you test with "grrrrr" Windows media player :roll: you should be able to right-click or something to bring up a 'find album art' directory which should allow you to use any JPEG or PNG as an album art, at least that's how I think it works. It would make it a little easier then having to go through some process of converting or adding to the JPEG/PNG so that it's read as album art by VLC. It will become obvious soon that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

As for the second part, assuming that it has not been completed yet, when you click on the Information tab it doesn't show all that the actual meta data contains, artist, title, duration, ect. I've noticed this with a few audio formats (FLAC being one of them) and a lot of video formats. even if I were to manually put the information into the file it still won't appear within VLC.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 23 May 2007 17:49

Let me see if I understand it. If you test with "grrrrr" Windows media player :roll: you should be able to right-click or something to bring up a 'find album art' directory which should allow you to use any JPEG or PNG as an album art, at least that's how I think it works. It would make it a little easier then having to go through some process of converting or adding to the JPEG/PNG so that it's read as album art by VLC. It will become obvious soon that I apparently don't know what I'm talking about. :oops:

As for the second part, assuming that it has not been completed yet, when you click on the Information tab it doesn't show all that the actual meta data contains, artist, title, duration, ect. I've noticed this with a few audio formats (FLAC being one of them) and a lot of video formats. even if I were to manually put the information into the file it still won't appear within VLC.

I agree, thanks for the support, I would like to see album art and other id3 in VLC, VLC could easily be the best media player out there and with keeping to one thing - its OPEN SOURCE.

vlc_fan-01

what about this

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 23 May 2007 17:50

what about this following idea

[quoteHi, everyone at VLC I am a mega fan of this program and use it all the time as I refuse to install codecs, thank all crators and developers for the creation of this fine app

My request is is that there ae programs out there and small programs such as the nice ImageGrabber II which can create a thumbnail image from a video

like this one I found for example (only found on the internet as example)
thumbnail example
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3995/srssnu8pl8.jpg

It would be so nice if alongsie 'snapshot', a devloper can write in the programs right click a 'thumbnail snapshot' in where vlc without needing for the file to be played wil save a thumbnail image of the entire video.

With these thumbnail programs you need all these codecs installed to decode the files, I hate that

A small dialog box can pop up in where you specify the thumbnail, like this image below I made,
Image[/img][/quote]

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 23 May 2007 18:37

cool idea... guess it will still take time to implement, as usual.
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”