Topfield *.rec Files

Feature requests for VLC.
KingTutt
New Cone
New Cone

Re:

Postby KingTutt » 25 Nov 2009 11:09

We now take the ID of the Topfield recording as enough insurance that this actually IS a mpeg-ts file, and it just works.
I guess that's the reason why VLC does not play/recognize transport streams recorded with the Topfield TF4000PVR series!
I've got a Topfield 7700 HCCI and the .rec files cannot be played with VLC 1.0.3 as well (mplayer works fine). I always get the following error:
main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist
main error: no suitable demux module for `/subtitle://C:\Video.idx'

In another thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56114&p=185963&hili ... ld#p185963 I've seen that the problem seems to be a"different header in each receiver model". Unfortunately I haven't got any technical specifications :-(

Is there anything else I can do that TF 7700 HCCI or other models are supported by VLC on day (perhaps providing some recorded examples)?

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Re: Topfield *.rec Files

Postby thannoy » 26 Nov 2009 11:32

Using command_line to read your file, you can try this (not tested):

Code: Select all

vlc file/ts://myrecord.rec
If I am not wrong, it will force TS demuxer to be used (Topfield TV records are MPEG-TS files with a header)
You can also try to edit the file using a hex editor and remove the header :-). You have to find regular 0x47 bytes every 188 bytes. The header to remove is rougly 1000 to 1300 bytes long iirc and the result file should start with 0x47.

KingTutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KingTutt » 30 Nov 2009 18:44

Using command_line to read your file, you can try this (not tested):

vlc file/ts://myrecord.rec
Unfortunately the command_line doesn't work for me, too.

For removing the the header using an hex editor would imply, that the headers of TF-Recorders always have got a fixed length. I found the regular 0x47 bytes every 188 bytes, but I did not get a vlc working file when I cut the 188byte pices away until a length between 1000 to 1300 bytes.

What I does not understand: The FAQ on Topfield Homepage says:
To play a rec file on your PC take vlc player Version 0.8.5 or above
I think that Topfield should know, that this does only work with Series 4000 Players.

I'm no expert concerning MPEG-TS files. If the proprietary header of TF-Recorders has always got the same length wouldn't it be a possible solution to just ignore the amount of bytes when playing an rec-file?
Another question would be how mplayer solves that problem. Does mplayer simply ignore all headers?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Dec 2009 15:45

If the proprietary header of TF-Recorders has always got the same length wouldn't it be a possible solution to just ignore the amount of bytes when playing an rec-file?
Yes. But you would also have to know when the file has problematic header and when not.

KingTutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KingTutt » 01 Dec 2009 17:11

I've contacted the Topfield support in order to get some more informations. The first problem is, that I'm no expert concerning video streams and codecs and the second one the 1st level support ...
According to my request I got the answer,
that I would have to install a proper codec to get vlc playing the stream.
As I mentioned, that vlc already provides all necessary codecs the support said,
that I will need an H264 Codec in order to view HD-Recordings with vlc and that the header is in the index file (.idx). I should use vlc only with the .rec file, themselves were able to play recordings using vlc.
First of all if I remember correctly vlc can play H264 without using an extra codec, furthermore my recordings were simple SD-recordings.
Second, if the header is only in the .idx file, why do I have such problems playing the .rec files?
But you would also have to know when the file has problematic header and when not.
What do you think when saying "problematic header". Is the Topfield-header repeated continuously during the TS-Stream or available only once at the beginning of a recording? Perhaps anyone can clarify the problem a little bit for me :?:

Supposing the proprietary Topfield header is in the idx-file as mentioned by the TF support. What are the problems when trying to play rec-files using vlc, the mplayer seems not to have that problems? Are there proprietary informations in the rec file, too?
Perhaps anyone of the programmes expert could precise what informations would be helpful under the viewpoint that Topfield will not give all detailed specs to public. Is there an abstract layer which TF could provide the vlc developers in order to safe their "know how" AND to help fixing the reported problems playing .rec files?

At the moment I've got the problem that I would like to help the topfield community (rec-file support in vlc) and the vlc community (improving vlc) but I don't know where to start with my point of knowledge.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Dec 2009 13:23

Well the issue only bother certain Topfield models, for example .rec files from my TF 5100 PVRc HDMI work in VLC.
What do you think when saying "problematic header".
Topfield boxes insert extra header to file, where some info is stored, so boxes can display it after recording. But it seems this header isn't TS compliant and because of that, VLC doesn't identify the file correctly. I think Mplayer is doing longer lookahead and finds the actual starting point of original TS section.

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 02 Dec 2009 14:03

VLC relies on first four bytes of the media to detect TopField files. They must be "TFrc" for demux/ts.c to properly detect it, in which case it outputs "this is a topfield file" in debugs.

If it do not find this magic code, it will try to find 0x47 bytes in the beginning of the file. The first 0x47 must be in the first 204 bytes followed by 2 other 0x47 separated by 188 bytes each (or one of the other TS allowed packet size). If TS demuxer is forced and 0x47 sync is not found, then TS accept to open the file using 188 bytes packets.

To sum up, if your file do not start with TFrc, I suggest you to force the demuxer. I think using "file/ts://filename.rec" but I am not sure.
If the first 0x47 found if not a sync byte (not followed by others 0x47 after 188 bytes), TS demuxer need to be forced to accept the file.

To help more, two informations are required:
1- What are the first bytes of your .rec file? (first 10 bytes in hexadecimal for example)
2- does the first 0x47 of you file belongs to sync bytes?
3- What does the verbose VLC output says about this file? (please use "Code" button to paste them)
3.1 opening normal way, opening with file/ts://, opening with "--demux=ts"

KingTutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KingTutt » 03 Dec 2009 12:07

Thank you for the clarifications :D

The file does not start with TFrc. The required informations (using vlc 1.0.3) are:
1- What are the first bytes of your .rec file? (first 10 bytes in hexadecimal for example)

47 05 79 2d b7 10 1b 87 2a b4
2- does the first 0x47 of you file belongs to sync bytes?
How can I find that out? The first bytes are posted above. The next 6 blocks (always 188 bytes later) starts with

47 05 79 1e 8c ... 47 45 79 3f 07 ... 47 05 79 10 ba ... 47 05 79 11 80 ... 47 05 7c 1f 02 ... 47 05 79 12 00
3.1 verbose VLC output (opening normal way)

C:\Programme\VLC>vlc --intf=logger --verbose=2 file:///"test.rec" -- logger module started -- main debug: using interface module "logger" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 3.000 ms - Total 3.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 3.000 ms) main debug: thread (interface) created at priority 0 (../.././src/interface/interface.c:151) main debug: processing request item null node Wiedergabeliste skip 0 main debug: thread started main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Wiedergabeliste main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1 main debug: starting new item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'test.rec' main debug: thread ended main debug: thread (input) created at priority 1 (../.././src/input/input.c:230) main debug: thread started main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MBytes main debug: using timeshift path 'C:\DOKUME~1\user\LOKALE~1\Temp' main debug: `file:///test.rec' gives access `file' demux `' path `test.rec' main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate main warning: no access_demux module matching "file" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating access 'file' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for access module: 2 candidates access_file debug: opening file `test.rec' main debug: using access module "access_file" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.000 ms - Total 1.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.000 ms) main debug: Using AStream*Stream main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 1000000 kbytes/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 2 candidates main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for demux module: 50 candidates main debug: using demux module "ts" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 11.000 ms - Total 11.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 11.000 ms) main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\\ ts debug: DEMUX_SET_GROUP 0 0 main debug: `file:///test.rec' successfully opened ts debug: pid[1401] unknown ts debug: pid[1404] unknown ts debug: pid[1402] unknown ts debug: pid[5960] unknown ts debug: pid[1403] unknown ts debug: pid[5961] unknown ts debug: pid[1409] unknown ts debug: pid[101] unknown ts debug: eof ? main debug: EOF reached ts debug: pid list: main debug: finished input ts debug: - pid[101] seen ts debug: - pid[1401] seen ts debug: - pid[1402] seen ts debug: - pid[1403] seen ts debug: - pid[1404] seen ts debug: - pid[1409] seen ts debug: - pid[5960] seen ts debug: - pid[5961] seen ts debug: - pid[8191] seen main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "access_file" main debug: thread ended main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m0.171875s, kernel 0m0.062500s, user 0m0.093750s main debug: TIMER input launching for 'test.rec' : 21.000 ms - Total 21.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 21.000 ms) main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play
3.2 verbose VLC output (opening with file/ts://)

C:\Programme\VLC>vlc --intf=logger --verbose=2 file/ts:///"test.rec" -- logger module started -- main debug: using interface module "logger" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 8.000 ms - Total 8.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 8.000 ms) main debug: thread (interface) created at priority 0 (../.././src/interface/interface.c:151) main debug: processing request item null node Wiedergabeliste skip 0 main debug: thread started main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Wiedergabeliste main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1 main debug: starting new item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'test.rec' main debug: thread ended main debug: thread started main debug: thread (input) created at priority 1 (../.././src/input/input.c:230) main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MBytes main debug: using timeshift path 'C:\DOKUME~1\user\LOKALE~1\Temp' main debug: `file/ts:///test.rec' gives access `file' demux `ts' path `test.rec' main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='ts' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate main warning: no access_demux module matching "file" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating access 'file' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for access module: 2 candidates access_file debug: opening file `test.rec' main debug: using access module "access_file" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.000 ms - Total 1.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.000 ms) main debug: Using AStream*Stream main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 1000000 kbytes/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 2 candidates main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.000 ms - Total 1.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.000 ms) main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='ts' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for demux module: 1 candidate main debug: using demux module "ts" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.000 ms - Total 1.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.000 ms) main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\\ ts debug: DEMUX_SET_GROUP 0 0 main debug: `file/ts:///test.rec' successfully opened ts debug: pid[1401] unknown ts debug: pid[1404] unknown ts debug: pid[1402] unknown ts debug: pid[5960] unknown ts debug: pid[1403] unknown ts debug: pid[5961] unknown ts debug: pid[1409] unknown ts debug: pid[101] unknown ts debug: eof ? main debug: EOF reached main debug: finished input ts debug: pid list: ts debug: - pid[101] seen ts debug: - pid[1401] seen ts debug: - pid[1402] seen ts debug: - pid[1403] seen ts debug: - pid[1404] seen ts debug: - pid[1409] seen ts debug: - pid[5960] seen ts debug: - pid[5961] seen ts debug: - pid[8191] seen main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "access_file" main debug: thread ended main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m0.250000s, kernel 0m0.140625s, user 0m0.109375s main debug: TIMER input launching for 'test.rec' : 11.000 ms - Total 11.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 11.000 ms) main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play
3.3 verbose VLC output (opening with "--demux=ts")

C:\Programme\VLC>vlc --intf=logger --verbose=2 --demux=ts file:///"test.rec" -- logger module started -- main debug: using interface module "logger" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 6.000 ms - Total 6.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 6.000 ms) main debug: thread (interface) created at priority 0 (../.././src/interface/interface.c:151) main debug: processing request item null node Wiedergabeliste skip 0 main debug: thread started main debug: thread ended main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Wiedergabeliste main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1 main debug: starting new item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'test.rec' main debug: thread (input) created at priority 1 (../.././src/input/input.c:230) main debug: thread started main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MBytes main debug: using timeshift path 'C:\DOKUME~1\user\LOKALE~1\Temp' main debug: `file:///test.rec' gives access `file' demux `' path `test.rec' main debug: enforced demux ` ts' main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='ts' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate main warning: no access_demux module matching "file" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.000 ms - Total 1.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.000 ms) main debug: creating access 'file' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for access module: 2 candidates access_file debug: opening file `test.rec' main debug: using access module "access_file" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: Using AStream*Stream main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 1000000 kbytes/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 2 candidates main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='ts' path='test.rec' main debug: looking for demux module: 1 candidate main debug: using demux module "ts" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.000 ms - Total 2.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.000 ms) main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\\ ts debug: DEMUX_SET_GROUP 0 0 main debug: `file:///test.rec' successfully opened ts debug: pid[1401] unknown ts debug: pid[1404] unknown ts debug: pid[1402] unknown ts debug: pid[5960] unknown ts debug: pid[1403] unknown ts debug: pid[5961] unknown ts debug: pid[1409] unknown ts debug: pid[101] unknown ts debug: eof ? main debug: EOF reached ts debug: pid list: ts debug: - pid[101] seen main debug: finished input ts debug: - pid[1401] seen ts debug: - pid[1402] seen ts debug: - pid[1403] seen ts debug: - pid[1404] seen ts debug: - pid[1409] seen ts debug: - pid[5960] seen ts debug: - pid[5961] seen ts debug: - pid[8191] seen main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "access_file" main debug: thread ended main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m0.250000s, kernel 0m0.125000s, user 0m0.125000s main debug: TIMER input launching for 'test.rec' : 10.000 ms - Total 10.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 10.000 ms) main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play
If it is helpful I can also provide the one minute recording example (43MB). If I remember correctly there is somewhere a possibility to upload it to an FTP-Server, right?

What has struck me:
The recordings made from RTL have got a regular beginning with

47 05 79
each 188 bytes. The record I made from ZDF has got

47 00 6e
and from ARD I got

47 00 65
The 4th byte is counting one up each block in all recordings from

10, 11, 12.... 1f, 10,11
Maybe the second and third byte is a Program specific number while the fourth is a kind of counter?

Thanks in advance for your help!

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 03 Dec 2009 15:37

Maybe the second and third byte is a Program specific number while the fourth is a kind of counter?
A kind of, yes. From MPEG TS standard.

I have not the time right now to decode hex bytes but informations you gave are precious, thanks. I will ask you one more test as a fast check of my (bad) hypothesis. (My guess is that your MPEG file do not contains PAT tables (kind of entry points, identified by 0x00), so VLC can't guess by itself that stream 101 is a PMT)
- Does your file contains hexa sequence "47 40 00"? often? My guess is no :(

@see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream#PAT to unserdtand why PAT packet is the entrypoint in MPEG decoding. For your information, I think VLC prior to 0.9 was able to play such out-of-standard files out of the box.

Using command-line, you can cope with it (using the "--ts-extra-pmt" parameter to build a PMT by hand, not so easy to use). I am surprised there is not yet a simpler parameter to simply tag a PID (101 here) as PMT.. An idea for a feature to add.

KingTutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KingTutt » 04 Dec 2009 09:06

Does your file contains hexa sequence "47 40 00"? often? My guess is no :(
Yes, it does! In the one minute recording (43MB) about 50times [in another recording (141MB) about 151times]. The first time at

8768D
but it is not regular, the second and third time is at

16B687 ... 247D25
Using command-line, you can cope with it (using the "--ts-extra-pmt" parameter to build a PMT by hand, not so easy to use)
I tried to use this parameter, but in wiki MPEG-PS I did not understand the syntax (pmt_pid=pid:stream_type) correctly.
I tried

--ts-extra-pmt 2=101:1 and --ts-extra-pmt 2=101:2
A random pmt_pid (2), pid 101 as mentioned by you, but I didn' know the "stream_type", so I tried just 1 and 2 without success.
Are there any further options for me to help?

Today I got from the Topfield support the following statement:
The files of 7700 HSCI and 7700 HCCI are nearly identical TS-Streams. The TF5000PVR has got the header in the REC-File, the TF7700-Series has got the header in the IDX-file.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”